Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 - baseline??

19 replies [Last post]
Allison Robb
User offline. Last seen 18 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I would appreciate it if someone could remind me how to save a base line in P3.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

decide which schedule is goig to be the baseline 

select

Tools

Project Utilities

Targets

then select the project that you want to be your baseline

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

decide which schedule is goig to be the baseline 

select

Tools

Project Utilities

Targets

then select the project that you want to be your baseline

Seema Raina
User offline. Last seen 7 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hi I have a query. I assigned a target project to the current project on P3. The problem is it is only showing the target actual dates which is already started or already finished. It is not showing the dates which has not completed or not yet started. Please guide. Regards Shruti
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Zhang

I think either way (P3/MSP) there is a pros and cons. Ie what if you want to compare two baseline (Baseline1 vs Baseline 2)
What if the client what a copy of the baseline - just the baseline...

Yes MSP did make live easy, however, it have its disadvantages too. As many PPs mentioned MSP is just not to comparable with P3. MSP is a beginner software.

Alex
Sen Moc
User offline. Last seen 18 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Zhang,

You are correct – using CDI is not the first choice in creating baseline in P3. The other option is using Target Function. However, the advantage of using CDI is that you’ll have a fixed baseline data and permanently attached to the Project or P3 file you are working on. Unlike the baseline using Target Function in which you need to make sure that the files connected to the target are located in the same folder always.

If your concern is difficulty in managing resource & cost data, then you have the option also to add cost in CDI. In fact, you can add as CDI whatever data you want as baseline (such as, OD, TF, etc.)

I think the best thing to do always is to create a baseline using Target Function and using CDI as well. (Who knows the target project files might be corrupted or somebody might have executed F9 after making changes to it.)

Regards,
Sen
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Alex,Christain,

I agree with you that P3 have the ability to maintain Baseline (target) as i said before "But ...."

What I want to say is it’s not so easy as in MSP.(single click of a menu item)

Using custom data item, I think is not the first choice,you will have difficulty to manage resource & cost data.

Alex Wong
Dear All,

The whole intension of having CDI to store Plan Start and Plan finish date is for later reference. Because Target can change and updated, same as current schedule. Therefore it is a good practic to store the PS and PF once the schedule is approved. That way you can always know what is the original PS and PF.

That is the reason why in P3e or P5 - PS and PF becomes a standard field where you can run filter on and analysis on it.

HTH

Alex
Sen Moc
User offline. Last seen 18 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Suku,

Christian is CORRECT.
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Sukumaran,

YES! I definitely agree with you but what my point is that you can use CDI for storing datas as your baseline too..

and as for the bars you can also use the CDI base dates as your early start/finish dates just to show the bars but you cannot show the inactive periods...

hope this clarifies...

Cheers

Christian
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Christian,

I believe that it is easy to assign the baseline schedule through Target function because apart the baseline dates we can see the baseline bars too.

If you do it through CDI you only can view the dates. Only figiures no graphics.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Regards.
Christian Adrian ...
Hello Sukumaran,

I’m referring to the custom data items...
you can create base start/finish field then store a copy of the dates from your base project..

regards,

Christian
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Christian,

You are referring to which custom data function?
Christian Adrian ...
Zhang,

Agree with Alex, you can use custom data function for storing baselines...

Cheers!

Christian
Alex Wong
zhang haixiang

I think your statment is not really true. IMHO it should read as P3 have a different procedure to maintain and saving a baseline instead of "P3 do not have the function of saving a baseline as MSP"

Alex
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
P3 do not have the function of saving a baseline as MSP. But it have the ability to compare 3 projects ( same project but different revision ) at one time.
The one you open in P3 is the working project, the other two are targets.
In order to have a base line ( target), just make a copy of your project. You can do it using P3’s copy project function , or using windows.
make sure they are in same folder
Alex Wong
When you open a project in P3

File - Open

You can have a option of selecting two target project which you can use for comparsion

HTH

Alex
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Allison,

Tools / Project Utilities / Targets

Then select the Project you’ve just copied (or any other historical one) to use as your baseline - [Target 1].
You can have multiple targets, but the projects all need to be in the same folder, otherwise when you attempt to open your project, you’ll be met with the error message ’cannot find target project’ (So if you copy your Project to another folder, remember to take the targets with it)

Hope this helps,

Gordon
Jackie Gilliland
User offline. Last seen 13 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Allison

Once you have saved a copy of your project as your baseline, go to Tools/Project Utilities/Baseline and capture your baseline project.

Jackie
Fiona Maughan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 4 days ago. Offline
Allison,

Take a copy of your Project. Then specify this project as your baseline. Unfortunately I don’t have P3 on my laptop so I can’t tell you step by step. I’m sure someone else can. Do remember if you have to send your Project to another person you have to send the Baseline Project also.
Hope you manage OK
Regards
Fiona