Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 to Suretrack problem - "Task" converts to "Topic"

9 replies [Last post]
David Aldridge
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all you planners,

The subject says it all. I am involved with a job where the Contractor uses P3 software. They have sent the P3 files to the Employer who uses Suretrak to open and view them.

However, for some activities, opening the project results in P3 tasks converting in Suretrak to Topics. The activity type is then "greyed out" preventing them from being changed back into tasks.

This is particularly problematic because the relationships into these Topics then cause the scheduling to go haywire.

I have tested this, and the "difficult" activities open perfectly in P3 3.0c as normal tasks. I can’t find anything wrong with them, or anything different in them from the other tasks in the project. They schedule perfectly.

When opened in Suretrak these tasks turn into topics. The FF relationships into these topics are identified by Suretrak as "not valid" (or similar message) and the scheduling screws up. However, Suretak does not allow us to change the task type or the types of relationships into these topics.

Does anyone recognise this symptom? Anyone know of a solution?

I will be on holiday for a week or so, but would love to see some ideas / solutions when I get back.
Thanks in advance,
David Aldridge

Replies

Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
I give a try, This is 7 years old problem when i try to convert suretrack, If I not mistaken one of PPers already suggest on the ID... I also suggest u look on the ID... If i not mistake ID for SureTrack is less then P3. Give a try...and check in help option. I only remember that there is a solution in help how to convert Sure track to P3.
regards
David Aldridge
Dear all,

UPDATE AND WORKAROUND SOLUTION

None of the suggestions I tried worked. It appears to me that these specific task activities in P3 had become faulty in some way (I am still unclear as to what way) and that it was the fault which caused them to import as Topics into Suretrak.

I did manage to create a workaround solution:
1) Identify which P3 Tasks convert (improperly) to Topics when opened by Suretrak. Record all of these.
2) Go back to the original P3 programme (the working P3 programme used prior to the failed conversion) and export (to a .dbf file) all relevant information in respect of the "faulty" Activity IDs (i.e. activity name, calendar, duration, resources, costs, etc.).
3) Separately, export all activity successor relationships for the whole project.
4) Delete the "faulty" tasks.
5) Insert new (blank) tasks with the same ID numbers as those deleted.
6) Import the Activity information for those blank ID numbers. Also import the programme relationships to relink those activities into the network.
7) The programme now converts to Suretrak properly!

As I said, I still don’t know why these task activities were failing to convert to Suretrak, but at least the recreation of them re-set any faults they had. We can now use Suretrak to investigate and re-schedule the programme as required.

In general, I would agree with Rafael that the rule should be to use a consistent tool between all parties. However, we are where we are, and I had no choice but to try to convert the files in this instance...

Cheers,
David

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 18 min ago. Offline
Keep it simple
Suretrack to P3 (upward compatibility) “no problem” “I guess” … the converse is not necessarily true. To avoid problems reading P3 files generated from P3 you must use P3.
I always recommend that in order to avoid compatibility problems or worst to avoid conversion issues, the best way is to have everyone using the same software, the same version.
For some reason people insists in using different software in the hope of saving some money. I understand P3 is not cheap, if money is the issue require everybody to use Suretrak.
David Aldridge
Hi and thanks for the suggestions.

I will try them later in the week (when I have a chance after catching up following holiday!) and let you know if they help.

Cheers,
David
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
FYI, Topic is belong to SureTrak and there is no such activity type in P3.

Check the Topic activities in P3. Are they assigned as Task or Hammock. Topic and Hammock are an activity that spans a group of existing activities for summarizing purposes.

When you convert the P3 to SureTrak, it is likely the Hammock activities are converted to Topic. Remove the Hammock activities, if any and convert only the Task to Sure Trak.

HTH
David Andreotti
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
David;

There is also a "No Topic" utility available on the p3 knowledgebase. It will convert topics to taska, hammocks, etc.

Hope this Helps.
Hannes de Bruyne
User offline. Last seen 1 year 32 weeks ago. Offline
I do remember I had this problem some years ago. " Topic" is an activity-type and has a special (activity-type)number. See help file. With GLOBAL CHANGE this number must be changed to the right number for task:. if STYPE eq 7 (replace) STYPE eq 0.
David Aldridge
Paul,

Thanks for these suggestions. They appear to refer to Suretrak programmes being imported into P3. However, we are using native P3 programmes (without Topic activities) and opening them in Suretrak. When opened, Suretrak appears to convert some of the plain task activities into Topics.

We do need these tasks in the programme (some are in the critical path, for example) but are unable to adjust them back to being tasks in Suretrak.

Do you think the suggestions you make below will allow us to change to topic activities back into task activities?

Thanks again,
David
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
David

I have found Topic activities problematic when used with P3 and I suggest they are not used when using P3 to open SureTrak projects.

The simplest way to get rid of them is to:
1. Take a copy of the schedule
2. Rename topic tasks say as DELETE
3. Delete the *.stw file which holds all the SureTrak specific info but you will also loose things like filters.
4. The delete the old Topic activities which will now be tasks
5. Transfer from the old schedule things like Filters that you would have lost.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers, Training & Consulting
www.eh.com.au