Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Driving Relationships

3 replies [Last post]
Sunil Kumar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear All,

Is an activity still driving when it is completed 100%. Can I delink this activity from its sucessors then do an update...

Pls advise

Cheers

Sunil

Replies

Frank Borcherdt
User offline. Last seen 7 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
My preference is to not use progress override for two reasons

1. It is the "best possible" case and if you really do need to wait until the predecessor of the out of sequence activity has completed and this results in overunning a key milestone you will not be warned by the system until the next reporting cycle and at that stage it may be too late.

2. The Total Float calculations to the predecessor of the out of sequence are now meaningless and if this activity should still be on the critcial path (reason 1) then you have probably stopped watching it as closely as you should as it will now have float.

I believe it is safer to use retained logic and then if the out of sequence no longer relies on the predecessor you will find this from the out of sequence report (or by vitue of the system warning you that you will overrun a key milestone) and you can correct the logic to correctly reflect the situation.
Sunil Kumar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mktse,

Thanks for your response, can I actually go for a progress overide scheduling will the end result be accurate.
Most of the times a few activities do go out of sequence can i always do a progress overide...

Sunil
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
The driving depends on the progress of the successor(s), not the activity itself.
eg. If the successor activity not commenced, start date determine either it linkage or data date; and
If the successor activity is commenced, the calculation will depend on the scheduling option - "retain logic" or "progress override"