Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

% Complete in Decimals

20 replies [Last post]
Vishwas Bindigana...
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

Can anyone of you tell me how to get %complete in 2 decimals. When I summarise the entire project into one band, I get the %complete in whole numbers. This is not advantageous as I make updates on a weekly basis, and minor changes are zeroed-off to the nearest whole number in the summarised band which makes the progress look insignificant on a weekly basis.

I did try creating a Custom Data Item with ’Precision’ characteristics. But, this simply adds up all the individual %complete of the activities in the summarised band. I also tried to make a hammock activity to the Project Start - Project Finish. But, this is again showing a different value from the summarised project.

Will be gratefull for any help.

Rgds.

Replies

Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Vishwas,

Agree with Jorge & others too... why not export the value in excel? you can customize in a much better presentation too...

Cheers!

Christian
ayman eleish
User offline. Last seen 15 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
ayman eleish
Hi frank
I am waiting for your softwar
at aymaneleish@hotmail.com
thanks
Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
If you require PCT in decimals, I assume that your progress is based on cost. If so, just get the earned value and divide it by either the original total budget or by the EAC (estimate at completion). This way, you can get the PCT at any number of decimal places.

Simple, right?

Best regards,

Jorge
pmkb .
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Frank, you are welcome to post your tool (as an attachment) for all to use in our templates / files forum.

Stacy
Participate at the Project Management Knowledge Base!
ayman eleish
hi frank
i will be very greatfull if u can send me this softwar that help me to get 2decimals in %compelete summarization
tanks
aymaneleish@hotmail.com
Frijo Tharakan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
I would appreciate if u can send to me tooo,

cheers
Planner Frijo
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Good Morning Frank,

Still haven’t received the software tool. Appreciate if you could forward to all the requested planners for our review.

Regards.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Frank

I can see you becomes the favour of the week. :-)

BTW I would like to ask the real needs of having 2 decimals place in a project plan??

Is a schedule a preceision tool?

What is the benefits of having 0.01% complete. How accurate is the original individual activities % estimate.
And how accurate you want to get in the summary of these % estimate?

Thanks in advance
Sunil Kumar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Pls add me in the list too Frank, email id - rsunilr1@yahoo.co.in

Thanks and Cheers

Sunil
Kumar J
User offline. Last seen 5 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Frank,

Can you please send the tool to my address also - bharathanin@yahoo.com

Thanking you in anticipation

Bharath Kumar J
irshath yakub
User offline. Last seen 14 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Frank,

I would like to try your tool. If I find it useful, I’ll recommed it to the other planners I know here. Please send it to me on irshath@rediffmail.com

Also the current project progress which I’m working on requirement is in 2 decimals .

Thanks & Rgds,

Irshath
Vishwas Bindigana...
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Frank,

I would like to try your tool. If I find it useful, I’ll recommed it to the other planners I know here. Please send it to me on vishbin@gmail.com

Secondly, Shahzad, the discussion here is for generating the progress in 2 decimals as it is the requirement for the project I’m working on. I wouldn’t be asking if it wasn’t!

Thanks & Rgds,

Vishwas
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Hi Frank,

I would like to try the software tool. Could you e-mail it to my address "sukumaransubaramaniyan@yahoo.co.uk" when you forward to Daya.

It might be usefull in my future when I do a weekly report for my client.

Regards.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Frank,

I would like to receive your software tool, hence please forward it to my email id plannerdaya@yahoo.com

Cheers!!!

Daya
Frank Borcherdt
User offline. Last seen 7 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Shahzad,

Tool was written to allow customer in defence to update WBS % completes quickly and accurately. They would organize by WBS (total at top) and then key the summarized % complete from the organized band into the WBS activity normally immediately below as layout is also sorted by early start. Since schedule is 20,000+ activities this was time consuming and error prone so we wrote the tool to automate this process.

Vishwas B’s original post details why he wants two decimals and since we have a tool that already does the calculations and updates it would be very simple to store the result in a custom data item field to two decimals.

I agree that rounding % complete to a whole number is what P3 provides and is usually sufficient. In fact when we update the WBS activity % complete that is what is displayed.

Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Hi frank

By your given option, it is determined that without usage of software tool, progress in decimal cannot be ascertained in P3 itself.

Moreover what is its main effect if we take into account the progress in decimal? for precision purpose or any other

Common practice is that progress is usually measured in rounded figure.
Frank Borcherdt
User offline. Last seen 7 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
We have a software tool that operates as an add-in to P3 and re-calculates the % complete on WBS activity types based on the Summarization Option (duration/resource/cost). It would be very simple to store the result in a custom data item field to two decimals.

Contact frankb@ecspl.com.au if you are interested.
Dylan Wan, PMP EVP
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Can you have a more granular grouping of your activities and montor their % complete, instead of the one at the high level?
Rolyn Jalea
User offline. Last seen 11 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
me too. I would like to try that one. can u send it to me also, rolynjalea@yahoo.com