Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

"percentage variance"

14 replies [Last post]
Hemanth Kumar
User offline. Last seen 42 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
friends
how can we show "percetage variance" ie - at a given date planned percetage of progress - actual percentage

Replies

David Moses
User offline. Last seen 11 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there;

I was facing the same problem.And now on I will be using the solutions which were proposed here..

But;could it be possible to export the current schedule and compare with the baseline schedule in Excel...?
Or for such comparison; could we use some other softwares like; Primaplan etc..?

I remain..
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Hemanth,

Don’t feel sorry, it might be a genuine mistake. Let us keep participating in P3 forum.

Cheers!!!

Daya
Hemanth Kumar
dear daya
sorry

what i wanted was calculated %

yes there is no var-tar%2
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Hi Hemanth,

I could not see any variable name such as varaince percentage target 2 in the P3 after following your procedure. If possible you can forward the files to plannerdaya@yahoo.com for my reference.

Cheers!!!

Daya
Hemanth Kumar
friends
thanks for every body

Here is how iam doing it now

i created 2 targets before updating progress

i opened the target-2
and progressed 2nd target to the current data date -using the utility-"update progress in P3-v3

then created a activity colum-"variancepercentage targ-2.

this is working
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Hello Maria,

Thanks for your reply. The question is how to show %variance?. It is easy to calculate in Global change and show it in activity columns, but you are telling that this can be done in bar format, even if you use position as 1 for Target and Current or Early bar, we can show either one of the Current Progress percentage or Target percentage; i could not see an option of showing variance percentage? again we have to use custom data to show the variance in the bar chart area?or is there any simple way to show the %variance in the bar?. Your help on this matter is highly appreciated.

Regards

Daya
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All,

The question is how to calculate planned percentage, for activities in the target project, activities that should have been completed before the data date is obviously 100% and those that is scheduled to start after the the data date 0%. The problem is to calculate the planned progress on activities that should be in progress, which can be done by using the planned start date, data date and original duration, that part is simple, the trick is to ensure that the right calender is taken into consideration. Then the results can be deducted from the actual progress and the variance obtained. This is if you need the variance for individual activities.

However, if you want the variance for the overall project, or portions of the project, resource the project, use s-curves. If you don’t have resources, create a dummy resources and use your original durations as quantities. Remember you need to resource both the target and updated project. For s-curves you need to go to tools/graphic reports, and set up a report there. Should have a problem with that shout. Should you want s-curves for certain sections of the project, use your coding structure

Regards,

Philip
Maria Ahlberg
User offline. Last seen 12 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Jaco
1) I am using targets, allways.
2) If a resource is not working 100% at one activity he or she can have done 90% of a job after 50% of the time scheduled. Then pct and RD is not the same. To be able to show how much work that is actually done in this case, RD and PCT have to be unlinked.
3) I meant by using Targets together with an early bar showing PCT not linked to RD.

Daya,
Please se 3) in my reply.
I always try to show as much as I can grafically, which is why I tried to find a solution to ad to your global change method.

Regards
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Maria, Yes, It is a matter of presentation, one is in bar format and the other one is showing the percentage variance in the activity columns. I’ve given the solution(global change....) thinking of activity columns only, but i could not see anything like showing percentage variance (between target and current) in current bar. we don’t have variance target 1 percent complete in P3 (like varaince target1 early finish), i would appreciate you if you could show me the way to do it in bar format. Cheers!!! Daya
Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Maria

1) Why will you not be using Targets ?
2) Why will % complete & Remaining Duration not be the SAME. (WHY UNLINK THE ITEMS.)
3) HOW DO YOU SHOW PLANNED PERCENTAGE ON A BAR.

CHEERS
Maria Ahlberg
I do not agree.
If you want to show the difference between planned and actual percentage you can show it grafically in the bars.
If you on the other hand want a % value showing the difference between planned and actual pct then you can use the global change.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Hello Maria,

I think you are talking about the way to calculate % of completion but it is well understood that the calculation of percentage completion depends on the nature of work involved for the activities. But Hemanth Kumar’s main intention is how to show the percentage variation. Since there is no straight forward way of showing like percentage variance(between target and current) he has to go for using global change to do the calculation.............

Cheers!!!

Daya
Maria Ahlberg
How do you update your schedule?
Do you have linked percente complete and remaining duration?
You can check at: Tools/Optiona/Autocost rules.
If you dont link remaining duration and percente complete you see the actual percent complete on the bar. If you link remaining duration and percente comlpete you always show a schedule indikating that you are exactly on time (if you dont use targets).
My advise is: use targetprojects AND do not link RD and PCT
Regards
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
link your target project to your current project from tools->project utilities->targets->(choose your target file here)

simple way would be: format -> columns->choose target1 variance(cost)
but if you want to have percentage varaince, you have to use global change to find the difference between current progress & target progress, and store the percentage into a custom data varaiable and display the item in the column area.

HTH