Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Finish Flag Query

4 replies [Last post]
Samantha McCulloch
User offline. Last seen 7 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
I am trying to anaylise a P3 schedule given to me which has a Finish Flag. I have made a Target schedule of the original schedule, and am currently trialing some different duration options on the Target 1 I have made. Whilst changing some durations I have noticed that the Finish Flag (which happens to be the Project Complete Activity) moves out......which I would expect if it had Predeccessors or successors....which I cannot see. Plus I have looked for a constraint...non to be seen.

Can somebody tell me how this would happen, as I have never used the Type: Flag activity before.

Thank you
Samantha

Replies

Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Ooops. Having just reread my earlier post, Can I point out that a start flag can have a predecessor, but not a successor.
IC Quiamco
User offline. Last seen 13 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
You can add precessor and successor column (Format, Column)
so you can see it.

You can view the activities with constraint, in early dates column those item with asteris on their early dates are the items with constraints.

Hope this help.
Samantha McCulloch
User offline. Last seen 7 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Brilliant. Thank you for your quick reply.

This absolutely makes sense.

Good planning.

Samantha
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Essentially, if a finish flag activity has no predecessors, then it will default to the latest early finish of the rest of the plan.

Incidentally, a finish flag cannot have a successor (in the same way as a start flag cant have a predecessor.

HTH