Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Tracking Submittal Activities Systematically

2 replies [Last post]
Eric Chou
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear all,

Creating submittal activities in a Baseline schedule is not that difficult. However, updating the submittal activities is always a major task of the schedule update, and can be very confusing for both schedulers and readers. After many years of experiences, I finally come out a way to track and update submittal activities systematically.

Please Go to the
http://www.htcprojectcontrols.com/SB005.pdf

Your feedbacks are very welcome.

Eric Chou, PE
HTC Project Controls, Inc.

Replies

Eric Chou
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Dear Someone,

Thanks for your comments. i think there is some misunderstanding. My method actually requires more work from the Contractor since they are the party maintaining the schedules. For your info, this method was actually adopted for one of the largest hospital project in Los Angeles when i worked for a contractor. The reason this method can be implemented there is all because it is initiated by me (from contractor) otherwise it is very difficult. Therefore, I suggest the Owner to add this requirement in the Spec to implement this method in my write-up. To further clarify more:

1) This method requires the inputs of all actual submittal records in the schedule. Consequently, those actual events are clearly presented in a graphic format (bar chart), which is really eye-catching.

2) This method does not skip the detail when setting up the Baseline schedule. What it does, it’s to set an expectation and standard for the Contractor’s schedule, as I never seen a Spec spell out those.

3) The major problem with updating the submittal activities is "mapping". No matter what you carefully planned in the Baseline schedule, the submittal package can never be submitted and approved as you planned. i feel that the update process should also be emphasized, actually should be more important than creating a Baseline.

Thanks
Eric Chou, PE
HTC Project Controls, Inc.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
So, your method is simply not to detail out the works ?.

Nice work if you can get it.

Further, do you really believe that removing actual finish dates (case 2) is a good idea ?.

a). Your schedule isnt providing an accurate record of events.

b). This would serve to confuse if on one update an activity is complete, and on the next update has only just started !.

Dont get me wrong, I’m all for new ways to make life easier, but not at the expense of good practice.