Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Rate Change in P6

5 replies [Last post]
Samuel Rotimi
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
There was a rate change on my schedule. All ended activities accepted the changes without any issue same with all future activities without actual. My problem is that all Activities that are in progress and exceeded the current data date are still retaining old rate. E.g let say I have an activities that was planned for 6months at £200 the activity started and actual taking in April we made rate change to 250.i expect the 250 to be the new rate for the remaining duration but that is not the case the remaining months keep going back to the original rate. Pls how do I fix this to keep the rate change on the remaining duration

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 44 min ago. Offline

Be reminded that cost increases usually happen in steps many times during project duration and might require periodic updating. In the following example within project duration Resource A cost had 2 price increases. The procedure must be easy to apply and edit to expectd multiple price increases within project duration for all cost items.

2021-07-14-14-21-22

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 42 min ago. Offline

Hi Samuel,

If you wanted the remaining duration will carry the new rate there is also a way in P6. Assuming that you already setup the effectivity rate of the resources see below step so all in-progress activity will carry a new rate for the remaining duration.

Step 1: Make sure that the Resource Assignment - "Recalculate Actual Units and Cost when duration % complete change" is un-tick.
Step 2: Make sure that "Resource can be assigned to the same activity more than once" is ticked
Step 3: Assign a new resource (same resource) on the in-progress activity
Step 4: On the resource tab, show Actual Start and Actual Finish Date, Start and Finish date
Step 5: Make the first resource as complete by entering the actual and finish date
Step 6: Make the second resource as no progress and having a remaining duration date.

See below example:

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 44 min ago. Offline

Try using performance periods.  I am not sure how it will work in P6 as I do not use it but I am aware of it.  I use Spider Project and we do not have the need to use performance periods them as Spider can figure the correct distribution automatically using basig math.

More interesting is the case where you need to include projected price increase, inflation is a very common scenario.  In Spider Project we use Cost periods to reflect projected changes of project costs. The user can create cost periods if it is needed to change planned cost of cost components, materials and resources in certain project periods.  I have no idea how this is done in P6 but there must be a way.

Good luck.

Samuel Rotimi
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thank you so much. I actually wanted the remaining duration to carry the new rate while the progressed actual still retain the old rate 20___________26___.
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 42 min ago. Offline

Hi Samuel,

You have 2 options:

Option 1:

Change the rate source to Override and manually type the old rate for all in-progress activities that you don't want the rate change to new rate.

rate_override.jpg

Option 2:

Create a Role with old rate as unit price.
Assign a Role created to resources for all in-porogress activities that you don't want the rate change to new rate.
Change the rate source to Role and the rate will automatically change to old rate or role rate.

Both options will have same result and will use the old rate as the rate for the said resource.