Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Columns for import to P6

12 replies [Last post]
Parisa Mohsenizadeh
User offline. Last seen 4 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello everyone,

I have a question; Is it possible to import columns with (*) to P6? I mean columns such as "Physical % Complete" or "Budgeted labor unit".

Thanks in advance

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

if you read post #8 on Tue, 2019-05-07 07:31

I mentioned that they were importable 

Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

It's not that easy.

the budgeted labor unit with * is the data exported in TASK sheet of the exported XLS file, which is a summary of all resources assigned to an activity.

if you use UDF, what number you will put in it, sum of all resources for an act or bugdet of a certain resource of the act?  anyway when you use global change, you need to select which resource will be changed, or P6 will change all resources with that UDF number. 

Actually the bugdeted Unit in TASKRSRC sheet is importable,you can import budget unit for each resource to get the correct sum.

Zoltan Palffy

Zhang 

you can reate a work around as I have posted below or you can use sdk 

Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

I think it is impossible. * means the data can not be imported.

e.g."Budgeted labor unit" is summary data calculated from all labor resource.

you need to import the budgeted unit for each resource, and then P6 will calculate the  "Budgeted labor unit" for you.

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

Parisa,

You can copy and paste into PRA much easier than into P6. Try it, copy a set of columns out of PRA and paste into excel, modify one of the cells and then copy and paste back. Then you can do such for all the data you want to change.

Probably the only useful feature of PRA to make it worth keep using.

Parisa Mohsenizadeh

Hello Steven,

Excuse me because of not making my question as clear as possible. Actually, I need columns such as budgeted labor unit in Primavera Risk Analysis but the problem is that I have the related information in an Excel file so first I should export from P6 into excel and match the info and then import it in P6 in order to have the columns such as budgeted labor unit in my P6 file. Then it will be ready to import the Xer file into Primavera Risk Analysis, but the problem is that columns such as budgeted labor unit have (*) in exported excel file so it is impossible to put info in them and then import it again in P6. I also have tried a user defiened field (UDF) for making a global change in P6 for budgeted labor unit column but that didn't work too. Is there any work around?

Thanks in advance

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
If you are importing into Primavera Risk, why are you using the excel import instead of just importing the xer file?

You may have to open the xer file in notepad first to change the P6 version if you are using a version that is not compatible with Primavera Risk.

Steven

Parisa Mohsenizadeh

Hi,

Actually I want to use the Xer File of P6 in order to import it in Primavera Risk Analysis, so I need this information to be in the related columns but due to they have (*) when exporting to excel I can't put the needed information in these columns. Also I couldn't use global change in order to match these columns with the user defined field. Do you have any idea regard this problem?

Thanks in advance 

Zoltan Palffy

whats the problem they are importable ?

Parisa Mohsenizadeh

Hello,

Actually I have problem for using global change for columns such as "Budgeted Labor Unit", "Actual Labor Unit" and "Remaining Labor Unit". Is it possible for you to help me in this regard?

Thank you

Zoltan Palffy

yes Budgeted unist is importable any coulmns are what you do is create a work around

create a udf (uder defined field) and make the field TYPE the same TYPE as the column that you cannot import

Then import that UDF

Now run a gloabl change where  the Column that is not importable equals the udf

I do this if I need to import expected fnish dates which are not importabale 

There is alwasy a work around 

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

No, fields with an asterix are calculated fields within P6 and cannot be imported.