Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Translating delay % into days

1 reply [Last post]
NUR ILANI CHE MOH...
User offline. Last seen 1 year 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all, 

May i know how do you calculate how many days that have been delayed for a project from % variance?

For example:

Planned 50% vs Actual 45% = Delayed by 5%

Currently, I calculated the delayed days, Forecast Finish Date - Baseline Finish Date and will get some numbers. 

FYI, I'm from Owner side and the contractor's scheduler showing different calculation on getting the delay days using some formula & weightage. 

Seek advice & expertise from all. 

Thanks. 

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am not sure why you want to try to use a percentage. You already have this you said that you calculated the delayed days, Forecast Finish Date - Baseline Finish Date and will get some numbers. That is all you need why are you trying to spin this to get some number based on a percentage ?

Percentages can not be used becasue they accrue at different rates based on the work plannned for a particualr month or update period.

Plan and simple if you the owner and YOU are responsible for the delay then the delay is Forecasted finish date - the Contractual finish date. This would be in calendar days.

Have you looked at concurrent delays ? Contractor as well as weather caused ?

meaning delays the contractor has inflicted by his own doings or what he failed to do ?

Late submittals ? Submittals not submitted in a timely manner or incorrect.

Lack of material = Late delivery of major items.  

Lack of manpower not enough manpower on site. What was his planned manpower vs hia actual manpower 

Does the contractor have a measured mile for the item or items that he claims he is being delayed ? Meaning what was hsi productivity on they same type of activity prior to the alleged delay and what was his productivity during or after the delay ?

For example prior to the delay he was installing conduit at a rate of 100 ft per day that is hsi measured mile now he can only install conduit at 95 ft per day.