Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What is the most impressive piece of planning in history?

7 replies [Last post]
Andy Brice
User offline. Last seen 6 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

What do you think is the most impressive piece of planning in history, in terms of the complexity of the task and successful outcome. Was it Operation Overlord,(D-Day), the Manhattan Project, the Apollo Program, the LHC or something else? This seemed like a good forum to ask. I know it is quite subjective, but I am very interested to hear your opinions.

Andy Brice
http://www.hyperplan.com

Replies

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Andy

Here you find a link that illustrates the Tour Eiffel better than I can describe.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donn%C3%A9es_techniques_de_la_tour_Eiffel

Regards Johannes

Andy Brice

>Because of the era I have to go with the Hoover Dam.

it was certainly an incredible feat. But if we are time adjusting, shouldn't be go for the pyramids? ;0)

I am curious how they planned things like the Eiffel tower, Hoover dam and Empire State in the days before computerized project management and CAD systems. Was it meticulously planned in advance or were decision made on the fly? Was it all done of bits of paper? If so, how did they keep all the bits of paper up-to-date and consistent?

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Andy,

Sure, the Hoover Dam, space projects are impressive, but my favorite is Tour Eiffel in Paris. Build in 1887-1889. Every time I am in Paris, I watch the 324-meter high magnificent tower in steel construction and feel humble. 

What I like the most is that the tower was designed of 18038 individual pieces and assembled like a huge Meccano.

Johannes

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

my vote is for the Hoover Dam for one of the mere facts that it was built during the Great Depression. It is a marvel of engineering and construction and dont forget this is back in 1931. Back then they did not have the technology that we correctly have today. At the time it was the largest concrete project in the world. Not only did they want to build the dam they wanted to use it to generate electricity using water and turbines. 

The Apollo Program is also impressive when you consider that you have more technology in todays cell phone than they had on the Apollo to land and take off from the moon. 

Because of the era I have to go with the Hoover Dam.

Andy Brice

Patrick

The speed of construction of the Empire State was certainly impressive. And it can't have been the easiest place to get materials to. What was it about the planning that made it so effective?

--

Andy Brice
http://www.hyperplan.com

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 3 days 5 hours ago. Offline

My vote is for the construction of the Empire State building in the 1930s - 102 floors completed in 410 days with a 100% site coverage. If the Burj Khalifa in Dubai had been built at the same speed as the Empire State Building (completed in 1931) it would have opened two years earlier! See: http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/PDF_Papers/P148_Management_of_Time.pdf 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 day 18 hours ago. Offline

Hi Andy

I would guess the Nasa moon landings.

Except for the Primavera by product.

Best regards

Mike T.