Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Actual Expense cost in Activity usage profile didnt match Actual payment done in that month

4 replies [Last post]
Ibraham Alm
User offline. Last seen 9 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Cost is added as Expense not resource. % complete type is physical. and duration is fix duration & units. Every activity has a fixed cost assigned under expense. Contract is design build. 
Contractor submit us monthly invoice generated from P6 which contains activities done in that particular month and their % complete/progress which after site visit and verification we approve. contractor submit schedule update 2-3 months late like June 2014 update submitted in Sep 2014 while payment is being done on monthly basis. 

While i was comparing the paid bills for months with schedule update (activity usage profile/ S curve) the actual expense cost in profile generated by same same schedule shows different values as actual expense cost..not the same we paid. 
e.g we paid 2 million in april, 3 million in may and 2.5 million in june. but now when i have received schedule update for june (data date 30 June) from contractor it shows higher actual values for these months (april may & june). I think it should match what we paid in that month as payment was made on progress. bt the profile is showing higher peaks as per scale if i compare it with actual payments. 

Please repl

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 52 weeks ago. Offline

Ibraham

In my previous answer I put some questions; they are still valid.

Here are some obvious mistakes by the contractor; either by the above items or by data entry. Maybe the scheduler is confused by actual / remaining / at completion or to work with different currencies. Which currency is shown in the report, which in the data? Actuals must match the payments.

Variances may occur due to calculation of foreign currencies; but these can only be by mistake.

Regards

Dieter

Ibraham Alm

I was reviewing Contractor schedule submittal, Contractor has submitted the schedule with S surve (activity usage profile)/cost histogram from prima vera as report. While looking at activity usage profile the actual values (actual expense cost ) shown by profile does not match the actual monthly bills we paid to contractor.

Cost is loaded as expense and % complete is physical.

My question is that the actuals expense as visible from profile should match monthly bills paid to contractor for that month. We pay according to physical progress every month.

Cost profile show 6 million for May and 5 million for June, but the work done (bill paid) in May was worth 2 million and in June was 3 million. pl reply

Ibraham Alm

I was reviewing Contractor schedule submittal, Contractor has submitted the schedule with S surve (activity usage profile)/cost histogram from prima vera as report. While looking at activity usage profile the actual values (actual expense cost ) shown by profile does not match the actual monthly bills we paid to contractor.

Cost is loaded as expense and % complete is physical.

My question is that the actuals expense as visible from profile should match monthly bills paid to contractor for that month. We pay according to physical progress every month.

Cost profile show 6 million for May and 5 million for June, but the work done (bill paid) in May was worth 2 million and in June was 3 million. pl reply

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 52 weeks ago. Offline

Ibraham

Welcome to PP

Was this the first time such a variance happened? How is the cumulated amount?

My first idea is to check if "Auto compute actuals" is set for expenses.

Second is if you are using financial periods.

Was the project open from which you took the actials? If not: Did you run "Summarize"?

Good luck!

Dieter