Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Job-Costing procedure for Construction

14 replies [Last post]
Tong Cong Tuan
User offline. Last seen 4 years 1 week ago. Offline

Dear all experts, and Mr Rafael

I am very interested in this procedure to control cost, productivity for our projects (offshore platforms, jackup rigs). Can you share the material, etc related to job costing system.

The differences between CBS (focused on "product"), and WBS (focus on "work"/sequence) make me confused. And what detail level of OBS/RBS? How to use/compromise both these breakdown structures for cost & schedule control proper manner.

Thanks in advance,
Kanye Tuan Tong

Replies

Tong Cong Tuan

Thank you sir so much!

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 14 min ago. Offline

- "I just think Job-costing softwares or ERP softwares will never fit every custommer, customers have specific requirements for their system, their projects."

• Agree, customers as well as client shall be free to choose, even for the same job different customers and clients will have their particular needs.

- "So only them with their IT guys can build it by themselve perfectly, called inhouse software...or if having a very very flexible software."

• Do not fully agree as I have seen a few excellent Job-costing software in the past. Just a few, rare but still available. Unfortunately the tendency by some software developers have been to obviate the unit-costing in favor of mere budgeting. I have seen such bad performance on software specific for the Construction Business, something that seem unbelievable to me. They do not care about what contractors have been doing for decades, they don't care about the common language of their industry, they cannot see the difference between mere budgeting and unit costing. Budgeting might look similar to unit costing but falls short of the need of most construction contractors.  
  • When your accounting/financial system does not provides for unit costing and this is what you really need I fully agree you shall look for customizing your system, if it allows customization. In some instances this might be your best option, for large enterprises I do favor such approach over canned products.
Tong Cong Tuan

Mr Rafael,

I just think Job-costing softwares or ERP softwares will never fit every custommer, customers have specific requirements for their system, their projects. So only them with their IT guys can build it by themselve perfectly, called inhouse software...or if having a very very flexible software.

Thanks

Rafael Davila

Agree. 

Usually Unit/Job-Costing software provides for entering data by using a prefix to identify the job, then a few characters to identify the cost code and finally a suffix to identify the cost type.

In this way you can segregate reports by job. Then within jobs the software will provide a detailed cost report grouped per every cost account  with several columns for each cost type [L/E/M/S/O] and a column that adds all cost types for every cost account.

photo 10-23-20136-13-43AM_zps9ddbc3ce.jpg

Each software have their own reports the relevant issue is that quantities are reported and not only costs or percentages.

Tong Cong Tuan

Mr Rafael,

Can not agree more with you.

I would like to ask more about the information flow in job costing for actual cost tracking because I am not on familiar terms with accounting guys...everything related to them shall be treated as top of top secret.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Direct Labor : Timecards from Field -> Payroll system of HR Dept -> Account Payable

2. Labor Burden/overhead: using method "normal costing", estimated rate shall be allocated to Labor, at the end of fiscal year shall re-calculate the actual rate for to be in line with actual cost. (information from Account Payable)

3. Production: to record achieved and forecast remaining quantity of each cost account from Field.

4. Material: MTO from engineering team or construction team -> POs of commercial team -> Invoice of Vendors -> Account Payable.

5. Subcontract: TR from construction team or engineering team -> POs of commercial team -> Invoice of Vendors (depends on contract type: lumpsum, unit rate, time rate) -> Account Payable.

6. Direct Equipment: Electricity, Fuel, Equip-hours... records from Field -> Account Payable. (maybe I'm wrong here, because electricity, fuel are difficult to distribute into each cost account, should them be equipment overhead)

7. Equipment Overhead such as Depreciation, Insurance, Maintenance & Repair, Tyre, Lubricant, Grease: also using "normal costing", allocated per Equip-hour. Should depreciation be Overhead cost?

All 1->7 shall be assigned into each cost account

Rafael Davila

Seems like you got the idea about coding. 

Think also in terms of applying the codes, it is easy to apply different cost codes for labor in case of forms. On the time card the supervisor will write the appropriate descriptions such as column forms and wall forms but for materials it is difficult, when you buy lumber and nails it might be for wall forms as well as for column forms. 

About the forms the labor unit cost for columns is substantially higher than the unit cost for elevated slab, same goes for walls. Also the quantities of each are different even if the unit of measure is the same [in case of forms we use contact area].  

But for cost control we also have to look for accountability, if you mix costs whose responsibility is spread under different supervisors the system will not help. We usually have different crews and supervisors for installation of walls, columns and elevated slabs. So when we design our coding system we consider in which way the breakdown will be of value not only for estimating but equally important, for field management.

For some equipment at times it is different, a crane might be used for walls as well as columns but distributing operator and equipment might be difficult. In such case it is more practical to keep the equipment under a single separate cost code. 

Do not overlook the idea about the cost types usually subdivided in labor, equipment, materials, subcontracts, other. By keeping them separate it is easier to interpret actual unit costs. Maybe you already bought 90% of the form wood but only have installed 20% of it. 

For subcontracts we allocate units for each unit price item if a unit price subcontract, for others such as Air Conditioning we use quantity 1 unit LS but in the description use some measure such as Tons or BTU.

Most job costing software provides for a percentage allocation of labor burden, learn about it. If you are loosing money on installation it is not only on direct labor cost but also on labor burden where you are also loosing money. If you apply labor burden individually the variance will make sense if you apply it to a single account it will not tell you about the distribution. 

Our labor burden usually includes the employer contribution to Social Security and Medicare, vacations, sick-leave, workmen compensation insurance, medical insurance, union fees and any other contribution by the employer directly related to labor costs. Some keep workmen compensation under separate code as it might be substantially different for different job risks. 

Tong Cong Tuan

Hi Mr Rafael,

For classification of cost accounts, I think the common sense here is the UNIFORMITY of production rate of each cost account. For your example, why should you separate Form works into Form Wall, Form Column, Form Elevated Slab? does it depend on the differences of production rates between Form Wall, Form Column, and Form Elevated Slab?

Our estimator guy has a list of cost items but it similars to PBS (product breakdown structure) regardless the continualness of time, and space...I also think in some cases it must be decomposed more...because the production rates dependes on some factors:

+ type of material

+ working space: limitation of space, high level, underground, onshore vs offshore, open yard vs. inhouse,...

Therefore if one of the factors impacts clearly to the uniformity of production rate of the cost account, it should be decomposed, if not...stop and make it as simple as possible

Rafael Davila

An ISO Standard shall be available soon.

http://www.iso.org/iso/home/store/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=63708

Meanwhile I suggest using the brakdown used by your estimators, summarized to a reasonable level. Then check on those cost components that for practical reasons shall be grouped on a single cost account. For example we keep track of form materials using a single cost account but for inatallation we use specific cost accounts such as installation of Column Forms, installation of Wall Forms ... Some use similar approach for Concrete materials and even keep a songle account for concrete pouring. There are no rules but common sense and experience. 

No matter if creating your own cost accounts or if using a standard as a reference I suggest to keep it within practical limist, too much detail can be as bad as too little. Therefore you shall adjust the chart of account to fit your needs.

If you create a draft of your accounts maybe we can make our suggestions, as long as you do not disclose costs it will not be confidential data in any way.

Suggest the following Structure:

• DIVISION: General Title of a Group of cost accounts.
  • COST ACCOUNTS UNDER EACH DIVISION : consider disclosing cost types thar will be used such as Labor, Equipment, Materials, Subcontracts, Other. In this way the perso(s) making the distributions will look for other possible cost accounts when the cost type is not available.  

Discuss the cost accounts with the estimators but always keep the details under control. And once again, do not overdo it, some industry standards are too detailed for use in cost control systems, perhaps good to organize cost references, drawings and specifications. I would target for something between 50 to 100 cost accounts to cover all my jobs and coding easy to remember. Perhap 3 first digits for Job ID, then 3 digits for the code and suffix letters for the type [L/E/M/S/O].

We use the CSI coding that is geared for specifications not for cost. Still our cost books such as RS Means do follow CSI organization in some way, they go into very detailed codes but we never use such codes, too detailed for practical use in job costing. 

Tong Cong Tuan

Mr Rafael, thank you for your supports

You leaded me into the term "Chart of accounts"...but it seems to be difficult to find a standard of it in petroleum project (offshore platforms).

I can only find some materials below:

1. "NORSOK STANDARD Z-014" for PBS (Physical Breakdown Structure), SAB (standard activity breakdown) for petroleum.

2. "PMI - Practice Standard for Work Breakdown Structures" - having a sample WBS for production platform.

IMHO, both of them do not fit to build a Chart of account.

So, do you have any rule for clustering of cost accounts to build CoA?

Rafael Davila

FIGURE 04

photo 10-18-201311-06-45AME_zpsec2f188c.jpg

Rafael Davila

FIGURE 03

photo 10-18-20138-40-10AMB_zpsafdf35ee.jpg

Rafael Davila

FIGURE 02

photo 10-18-20137-51-48AM_zps52963c2b.jpg

Rafael Davila

FIGURE 01

photo 10-18-20138-44-35AMC_zpsc8fce60d.jpg

Rafael Davila

The following references can provide an introduction to our discussion.

http://www.foundationsoft.com/resources/articles/77-unit-cost-and-production-reporting.htm

• Here we will find arguments of why production/productivity is best controlled when you take into consideration actual production units and costs per unit instead of just costs without relating them to production units. 

http://www.nflaace.org/index_files/john_orr_cost_loaded_schedule_updating_pdf.pdf

• Here we will find the issues associated with the use of CPM schedules as a Billing tool.

As we discuss how the selection af your cost codes is critical to the success of the system we will discuss why cost codes shall not be forced to match the breakdown for Billings nor the Activities and/or WBS Breakdown of your CPM.

For a start you shall track separately labor from materials and equipment costs but you do not bill separately labor and material but use a single number that includes costs and markup. You shall keep a uniform cost coding system on all jobs but the work breakdown of individual jobs might require different WBS structures, or different clients might require their preferred structure.