Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Time period in user Preferences.

8 replies [Last post]
AB Timo
User offline. Last seen 9 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I have activity calender equal to 10hr/D, and the default hours/Days is 8h/days.I have changed 8hr/Day into 10Hr/Day. My Question is,

Is there need to change the hrs/week ,hrs/month and hrs/year values or Primavera itself will take these values from the new  hrs/day value?

Regards,

Replies

How to change the preference in primavera

When i am making the schedule through primavera than preference setting is set for earlier date finish the activity than it going upper otherwise activity going lower

How to change the preference in primavera

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 3 hours ago. Offline

Just remember that not all P6 versions are equal and that in P6v7 the following applies.

• Primavera calculates and stores time unit values in hourly increments, but you can set preferences to display time units in other increments, such as days or weeks. The values specified for Hours per Time Period are used to convert hours to other time increments for display, and to convert all non-hourly time increments to hours for storage in the database. Administrators can define Hours per Time Period settings globally on the Admin Preferences, Time Periods tab, or they can specify that the Hours per Time Period settings should be defined per calendar.
  • When Hours per Time Period settings are defined per calendar, units and durations are displayed more accurately. When Hours per Time Period settings are defined globally and you set preferences to display units and durations in time increments other than hours, units and durations will display unexpected values when the Admin settings for Hours per Time Period do not match the work hours specified in calendars assigned to activities and resources.
  • Better get used to different work hours/day, different workdays/week and different shifts and how they relate in the computations of hour/days/weeks if you do not understand them well you might get into trouble by entering wrong data.

Good Luck

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

AB,

It is fairly simple to reason out your question if you understand the mechanics involved.  If you have P6 set to display days, then it will assume that when you enter a number without a qualifying “d” or “h” after it, that you meant to enter the number as ‘days’.  P6 only stores all durations in hourly figures. 

P6 will take your ‘days’ entry and convert it to ‘hours’ using the conversion factor you have set and store that number. If your number entered was “4” and the conversion factor was ‘8 hours per day’, then P6 stores 4 x 8 = 32.0 in the database.

Later, you might change the conversion factor to ’10 hours per day.’  When you ask P6 to display that previously-stored number, P6 will retrieve the 32.0 and divide by the conversion factor (now ’10 hours per day’) and will display, 32 / 10 = 3.2.  If you set the display to only show round numbers, then P6 will display “3”.  Your “4” has now become a “3”.  I hope that this answers your question.  Good luck!

Rafael Davila

is there need to change the hrs/week ,hrs/month and hrs/yearvalues or Primavera itself will take these values from the new hrs/day value?

My guess, as I do not use P6, is that the new default will take over only on new data entry, it shall not disturb data previously entered, so it can make sense to change it as needed. If you have the newer version 7 it will work using the averages computed from the activity calendar except on the summary bars when activities use different calendars it will use the default.  Note this shall be verified against the different versions.

For example if calendar 1 is based on the following work week; Sun = 8 hrs./day, Mon =  8 hrs/day, Tue =  8 hrs/day, Wed =  8 hrs/day, Thurs =  8 hrs/day, Fry =  8 hrs/day, Sat =  8 hrs/day

= 56 hours per week  = 7 work days [days with assigned hours no matter if 1 or 2 hours]  = 56/7 = 8 hours/day

In this case when you enter 1 day the software will assign 8 hours.

If calendar 1 is based on the following work week; Sun = 0 hrs./day, Mon =  8 hrs/day, Tue =  8 hrs/day, Wed =  8 hrs/day, Thurs =  8 hrs/day, Fry =  8 hrs/day, Sat =  0 hrs/day

= 40 hours per week = 5 work days [days with assigned hours no matter if 1 or 2 hours] = 40/5 = 8 hours/day

In this case when you enter 1 day the software will still assign 8 hours.

Not the same work days per week but same hours/day.

If calendar 1 is based on the following work week; Sun = 4 hrs./day, Mon =  8 hrs/day, Tue =  8 hrs/day, Wed =  8 hrs/day, Thurs =  8 hrs/day, Fry =  8 hrs/day, Sat =  4 hrs/day

= 48 hours per week = 7 work days [days with assigned hours no matter if 1 or 2 hours] = 48/7 = 6.857 hours/day

In this case when you enter 1 day the software will assign 6.857 hours

The issues you are having are not exclusive of any software, almost all must change from days to hours using some factor, a factor that will vary in some as you apply days amount to your calendars, others will use a single factor. The multiple factor makes it easy for weeks where all days have same amount of work hours but when you have a week with different work hours per day the days assignment will still be prone to confusion.

AB Timo

Secondly if you see the default working hours for 8hr/Day,then how is Hourz/Month and hours/year is calculated by Primavera,because if you see in Time period option in user preferences  there  are

8hr/Day ,40 hr/week ,172Hr/Month and 2000Hr/Year (Default).

But if you calculate using 5 d/w & 8h/d calender (Default Calender) it becomes 

40hr/week &  40*4 = 160 hr/month  &  160*12=1920 Hr/year. why is this difference?

Can you please explain me these calculations a bit.i am Confused  :(

Regards,

AB Timo

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for Answering.Thanks for the link also.my Question was,

is there need to change the hrs/week ,hrs/month and hrs/year values or Primavera itself will take these values from the new hrs/day value?

Regards,

Rafael Davila

The following link can be of interest to you.

http://thesimplexgroup.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/converting-from-work-hours-to-work-days-weeks-etc-in-p6/

In P6, do you get confused when the Admin, Preferences are set to have 1 day equal 8 hours, but you’re working with 10-hour days instead; so, when you set your user preferences to show days, it’s showing 1.25 days instead of 1? Well, Primavera P6 Rel 7 has a fix for that! You can now choose to convert from hours to days, weeks, etc., based on the calendar assigned to the activity instead of the Admin, Preferences.

I use other software that as a default uses activity calendar, still you got to be aware that when the weeks have different hours per day it can still be confusing.

One way to avoid the issue is work in hours durations only, avoiding the average hours/day factor.