Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Finish Milestone

5 replies [Last post]
AB Timo
User offline. Last seen 9 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello All,

I have Planned a Project and after Finalizing the Schedule I've just Noticed that the Finish milestone is Note Giving the Required Date.My Project will Be Handed Over On 15th Dec,2012 and I gave FF RElationship to Finish  milestone and last activity of the Project (Site Clearance-->FF-->Finish Milestone),But  Instead of Showing 15, Dec 2012 as the Complition Date, the Finish Milestone is taking One day more i.e, 16th Dec 2012.I have not given any lag and have asigned FF Relationship also.Can anyone tell me the reason??

Regards,

Faiz

Replies

Simon Willson
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Faiz,

You want to check through the calendars of your predecessors especially if you are using a Middle East calendar to model (for instance) reduced working hours during Ramadan.  If you have activity finishing say at 13:00 on the last day of Ramadan and the successor is using a different calendar, it will start at 13:00 the same day.  This will cascade through your schedule resulting in your activities being a few hours out throughout.  The  use of a scaled calendar for Ramadan is very useful but needs a little aftercare to ensure that all successor activities end as expected.  If you are using P6, turn on the 'show time' option and you will see if any of your predecessor activities are forcing the end milestone to finish a day later than expected.

Cheers  

Simon

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 6 hours 18 min ago. Offline

Faiz,

It is weird, it is like if your software cannot differentiate between the start of zero duration activities and activities with durations other than zero.

If predecessor finishes at the end of the day and  FS(0 lag) successor have same calendar you expect;

• the successor to start next day if it have a duration other than zero or
  • the successor to start and finish the same day if it have zero duration.

Photobucket

Some software use the concept of start and finish milestone and this have some effect on where the milestone start. These define the start milestone to occur at the beginning of the workday and the finish milestone at the end of the workday, not sure about a milestone you want to keep in the middle of a day. This can be the reason for this issue as changing a milestone from Start to Finish type can move the milestone from the start of a day to the finish of the previous day when all task are on one calendar. If this is your case then check what type of milestones you are using, make sure it is a Finish Milestone type if this is how you want to model it.

Let us know your software and version.

Best regards,

Rafael

AB Timo
User offline. Last seen 9 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Rafael,

i am Using Same Calender For all Activities.6 Days/w & 8Hrs/Day.

Regards

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 6 hours 18 min ago. Offline

I do not believe in cheating the software, there must be a reason why.

Is it possible different calendars are causing the issue;

1) Can you tell us if the activities calendars differ.

Photobucket

2)  Some software do not allow for an individual lag and assign the lag on some limited rule. Can you tell us if the lag calendar rule is based on a different calendar than that of the activities.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Faiz

Your last activity ends at the close of the last working day.

Your finish milestone then starts at the start of the next working day.

Try changing the link to FS and if that doesn't work reduce your last task duration by 1 hour.

Best regards

Mike Testro