Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What's the opposite of "Slippage"?

5 replies [Last post]
Martin Härri
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am developing a new schedule template which visualizes tasks which start/finish after the deadline, and task which start/finish earlier than planned.

Now I am looking for an appropriate terminology:

- the first would be called a "slipped task", or "task slippage"

- the second? An "advanced task", or "task advance"?

Btw: I find it strange that there seems to be only an established term for the negative situation, but none for the positive situation. The positive situation is also important, as it might provide the opportunity for either creating some contingency in the schedule, or even get a bonus for early delivery.

Replies

Martin Härri
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all

Thanks for your comments. I think I like the "Early" vs. "Late" terminology most. While Rafael semantically is right, you can slip backwards as well as forward, the term "Slippage" is usually defined as "slipped backward", so I don't want to confuse people.

I'll stay with Early and Late. Thanks.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 39 min 43 sec ago. Offline

I guess Martin is comparing Previous Early Task versus Current Early Task.

Some are delayed other stay the same and others are moved forward after an update. The difference between the two is called slippage.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Martin

Why not just use Early Task and Late Task.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 39 min 43 sec ago. Offline

"moved forward", if slippage is defined as to meant only a delayed task, still I believe slippage can go either way, positive slippage meaning a delayed task while negative slippage meaning a moved forward task. Then in such case the opposite to slippage would be non-slippage, not moved or fixed task. Is a matter of semantics.

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi, Martin.

"The positive situation is also important, as it might provide the opportunity for either creating some contingency in the schedule, or even get a bonus for early delivery."

Absolutely right!  There are all kinds of ways in which "acceleratiing the schedule" (the term I use in my book and articles) leads to an "acceleration premium".  And of course, after slippage, one needs "acceleration" to "recover" the schedule and avoid delay penalties.  The principal is the same.

The method is greatly aided by identifying the drags of the critical path tasks, i.e., how much time each is adding to the project duration.  Two articles on the subject:

http://216.90.91.41/content/articles/246653.cfm

http://216.90.91.41/content/articles/234282.cfm

As far as I know, only two software packages compute critical path drag: Spider Project, which has its own forum here on PP, and the Sumatra Project Optimizer, an add-on to MS Project.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan