Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Longest Path Critical Activities

3 replies [Last post]
Shazia khan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Sirs.

I am using P6 Ver.7

i have a schedule in that i have an Activity which Duration is 150 days other all activites having max.duration less then 150 days .
This activity Longest path of the schedule

but it is not critical i mean it not showing red Critical line other activitiy which is duration is 90 days shows a red Critical path.

How i can make the max Duration activity become Critical activity.

Thanks & Regards

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Shazia

As Rodel says - it is the logic that drives the critical path.

If the logic is correct then you should not try to adjust it to give false criticality to a particular task.

As a side issue tasks of 90 to 1`50 days are far too long - maxmum task duration should be 10 days.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Shazia khan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Sir.

Thanks so much for your kind reply.

I understood now ,

Best Regards
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 7 min ago. Offline
Shazia,
Longest Path doesn’t mean longest activity. It is the longest network created by the logic behind it.

If the longest activity is not critical it means that activity is not sitting on critical path and or longest path of the network. If you want it to be critical then check the logic and make sure it sit on the critical path and or total float = 0.