Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How do you plan your own career?

3 replies [Last post]
Carlos Arana
User offline. Last seen 5 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
(This is a question I got from this another topic: http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?Cat=1&Top=65037)

So if you are planning it, then it is a PROJECT, right? and, if acording to PMBOK, "A project is a temporary endeavor undertaken to produce a unique product, service or result" Then one should know what that product, service or result is.

So, in my particular case, my career should bring me the following: Professional satisfaction (a result) and money (a product)

Professional satisfaction will come from producing sustentable things. How much money I want, the answer is "Enough to have a house in where to live, study and love". The money will come from acquiring a good job. In order to acquire a good job, I should be certificated. My starting point is now where I am a graduated Engineer Architect (and my uoficial title is still pending).

So the planning I’m making is:

Start > CAPM certification > get a better job > PMP or PMI-SP certification > get an even better job, at a sustainable place acquire experience > start an "office for sustentable things"

What do you think? How do you plan your own career?

Replies

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Carlos,

In addition to Henk's comments, a good working attitude (positive attitude) will help a lot. From what i have seen so far, not all people are given good breaks, only a few and a lot of these people have one in thing common, they work hard and have a positive attitude.

Good Luck!

Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Just having yourself certified shouldn't be enough.

Getting the right expirients is better.  (i think)

Kind regards

Henk

Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Just having yourself certified shouldn't be enough.

Getting the right expirients is better.  (i think)

Kind regards

Henk