Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project control - one person only

4 replies [Last post]
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Planners,

I was wondering when a project might be done with one project control staff executing all functions: schedule develop and update, progress measurement and cost control.

Based on project size (man-hours or cost), or duration or complexity I can take the decision whether I need ONLY one person for all.

I am thinking in FEED or EPC Home office projects.

Thanks & regards,

Replies

Carmen Arape
Hi Mike,

FEED = Front end engineering design

OR Basic Engineering.

It is not exactly the same in terms of the deliverables to be issued as part of the FEED or basic engineering.

regards,
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Gary Hi Carmen

What is a FEED project?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Carmen Arape
Gary ,

Fully agree with you regarding the link to how good the systems in house are for timesheet, financial and archiving.

You have added the function of Doc. Controller which I would replace with change management.
The new systems for document control become so sophisticated and time consuming.

I would say: for a FEED with man-hours less the 100 K, one person is enough to manage the following: schedule, progress measure, cost control and change management.

regards,
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Carmen,

When I’ve worked on FEED or other home-office projects, the PC team tends to be 1 scheduler / progress measurer (me), 1 cost control/accountant and 1 Doc controller.

This team then runs all PC for all projects in the office.

I’d estimate total of, say, 100,000 man-hours of projects could be handled in this way. So maybe 1/3 of that for a single person to handle all 3 roles.

Obviously it very much depends on how good/automated your systems are for timesheets, financial reporting, archiving, etc
Regards,

Gary