Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Conversion to P6

2 replies [Last post]
Dave Morrow
User offline. Last seen 11 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can Asta Powerproject be converted directly to P6.2??

Regards
Dave

Replies

Dave Morrow
User offline. Last seen 11 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thanx for the info Paul.
I have several programs in P6.2 and would like to have the contractors Asta project in the same place rather than just a pdf. Its easier to backup my laptop if all the programs are in the same place.I will have another look at your website.
Dave
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
Dave

P6 will export and import an XER file which is the Primavera proprietary format.

I have P6 Version 6.2 and Asta Version 10.0.03 and Asta will open an XER file produced by P6.2.

I have written an article about data exchange between P5 and Asta Powerproject and it is available from my website under technical papers. I do not think much has changed with p6 in the area of import and export from Asta.

I think Asta is a great solution for companies who do not want to invest a large amount of money in a copy of P6 and end up with an inferior product for people in the building and construction industry to Asta.

P6 is in my opinion fine for simple construction projects but not entirely suitable when you want your schedule calendars to have a different number of hours per day. This is due to the way it calculates activity durations in days and durations against WBS nodes in days when multiple calendars are used with a different number of hour per day. There are also issues with the way the baseline will display a bar when no baseline has been set and the way update progress will change Actual Dates for you. All these issues are outlined in my P6 book.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers, Consulting and Training
www.eh.com.au