Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Dry wall partition changed to CHB plastered Finish

5 replies [Last post]
Christian Niedo
User offline. Last seen 13 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear planning engineers and claim analyst,

Let me just state my case: We are a General Contractor building a 39-storey medium end Residential Building at our place in Manila, Philippines. The client and its architect decided to have a value engineering by changing the original design of a Dry wall (ficem board) partition into 4" CHB (650 psi non-load bearing) plastered finish to save cost. In view of the client’s convenience they will surely save a lot but I had submitted a time extension claim of 4 months which has an extended overhead of more than what the savings will be due to this change in design. If you agree with me the revision of design would inflict additional time to our schedule since the two activities lies on the critical path.

Here is the dillema: The client’s representative and technical personnel didn’t agree due to their reasoning that CHB wall can start sooner than dry wall since it is the wet works part and it will not wait until the sealing off of the building.

May I hear your own insight on this case?

Replies

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Christian,

Do not underestimate your client. After all they managed to own a 39 story building.

One of the best ways is for you to take him to site and let him witness the duration of activities and the difficulties of both systems. I am sure that you can find different sites using both system under the same Contractor.

Good luck,

Samer
Christian Niedo
Hi,

Thanks for the insight sir. Do you have a suggestion on how to present this on a "layman’s" point of view for the owner to understand. We are about to start the partition walls by the way.

Regards,

Christian
Neeraj Agarkar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
This depends upon where you are right now in the program. If you are able to establish that dry wall used to take up less time per floor whereas wet works take more time (for example, MEP services would get delayed with wet works and more so for followon cvil works..), then you have a case. I suggest you draw up an alternate program for finishes work with palstered finish and account for all the delay that you have to encounter for say, tiling, MEP services, ceiling works etc.
Generally dry wall take lesser time so you have a case for extension. Also, your methodology will change (plastered finish does mean lot of lead and lift for materials and affect tower crane or hoist usage.. if these are covered under some other item in BOQ, you may claim cost overrun on that head, even if the lumpsum rates are fixed for wet works.
regards
Christian Niedo
Mr Iimos,

Actually the owner can really save some cost since we are on a lumpsum contract and as per bill of quantities unit rate for CHB and plastering etc. is lower than the agreed rate for dry wall... but in actual situation in terms of hauling of materials, inst’n of embedments, repairs, debris disposal and laborious works.. makes it complicated. But then again BOQ rate shall govern on the said changes...

Thanks for the insight sir
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
You mentioned the Client and the Architect made the decision, without consulting the Structural Engineer? I believe 4" CHB + plaster is heavier than the dry wall (ficem board).

Saving Costs? you can only prove it thru quantities, cost of materials, and the time and other resources involved to execute the works (you can make a comparative analysis).

The Client’s Rep. maybe right for saying that CHB can start sooner, but it’s up to you to present a reasonable and justifiable analysis.