Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Scheduling problem ( need your help)

13 replies [Last post]
el gwapito
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear all,
Im new in P6, by the way the proj is underway as of the moment but suddenly stopped by the month of July 01 -31 2008 & no progress at all, but when I updated & run the schedule(F9) by Aug.01,2008 WHY THE TOTAL PROJ PERCENTAGE COMPLETION(SAY BY DURATION) WAS TREMENDOUSLY INCREASING WITHOUT ANY PROGRESS AT ALL FROM THE PREVIOUS MONTH?Then I run again by sept 2008 still the total proj % completion is still increasing without any progress since July 2008?
How to resolved this conflict?
Help me out this PLEASE???

Replies

James Soto
User offline. Last seen 12 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Good Morning all, I am in trouble here and would like to solicit your expertise!

1. I would like to manually enter a percent complete, for the tasks that are accomplished.

2. I would like to print out a historam populating workforce and manpower.

I am new to P6 but desperately needed a job. Any and all help is to be grealy appreciated 

It is my understanding that a percent complete cannot be entered if the project has not yet started or finished. When I try to check start and finished then  enter 100% complete, it is not recognized because the dates have already passed. Please advise and awaiting anyons help,

James Soto

My applogies

James Soto

I am needing ton update the schedule, this needs to reflect the tasks to be 100% complete. Is it possible to do this once the dates have passed, It is my understanding that you cannot update the percent complete if the project has not yet started or finished. I cannot check the start and finished because the dates have passed, What should my next step be?

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

James,

Please ask these questions in a new topic rather than replying to a discussion that is several years old

James Soto

Good Morning all, I am in trouble here and would like to solicit your expertise!

1. I would like to manually enter a percent complete, for the tasks that are accomplished.

2. I would like to print out a historam populating workforce and manpower.

I am new to P6 but desperately needed a job. Any and all help is to be grealy appreciated.

dell micro5
User offline. Last seen 15 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Sir,

1.Is that a normal , standard procedure & accurate way of updating according to P6 rule or its just only your assumption according to your experiences?
2.Do we need to check the checkbox in “activity percent complete based on activity steps” on the calculation tabs of project details? What is the effect if un-checked?
3.Do we need also to mark the “activity percent complete” on technique for computing performance percent complete on earned value tabs of admin preferences?
4.Is there any way that the total performance % will roll up without assigning resources?

hoping for your response.
James Shimmon
User offline. Last seen 13 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Has the project been baselined??

1 - Check in the WBS view Earned Value tab that you have the radio button ’Activity Percent Complete’ checked under the heading ’Technique for Computing Performance Percent Complete’ - Still cant work out why it wouldnt roll-up though - it has always worked for me
2 - Remaining duration should be a manual input base on project lead/engineer advice - not autocalculated using the tool
3 - Should fix when Step 2 is done
4 - Will be due to the fact that the remaining duration is not being changed

cheers
el gwapito
mr james,
thanks for responses.
by the way, all activities now are resources loaded(cost & manpower) & already changes to % complete type as(physical)but still the problems continue.
1.it doesnt roll up the total % completion of the project as you recommended to use a column for performance % complete.
2.the remaining duration doesnt change for each activity
3.doesnt show the project calculated finish due to unchange of remaining duration each activity
4.total % completion(by duration) still increasing without any progress from previous month when updating to succeeding month.
hope to hear feedback.
thanks
James Shimmon
assign them all as physical % complete, if they are anything different at the minute it is easy to change them all using global change
Aweezaerni Shaari
User offline. Last seen 12 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Dear Mr james,

In % complete type,should i assign the activities as duration or physical in this matter?
James Shimmon
unfortunately physical % complete doesnt roll up to a project level. if your project is fully costed then call up a column called performance % complete which should mirror physical % and this will roll up through the wbs levels to a total project percentage completion
el gwapito
i really appreciated your respons mr james, i would try too, but how could I see the "total project percentage completion" in terms of physical???
hope for your respons.
James Shimmon
because if you are using duration % complete then that fact is true, try using physical % complete as it is a much more meaningful figure, i never use duration % complete