Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Engineering Submittals!

7 replies [Last post]
Rami Al Haddad
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi All,

I think many of you must face this issue preparing and updating your schedules, the issue with engineering submittals and approvals.

My question is! what is the best way to update such activities assuming that for each submittal we have one submit activity and one review and approve activity.

i have encountered 2 methods:
1) to consider the submittal as not even done until it has already been approved and hence use the actual for the approved submittal to update the activities.

2) to update it and give it a % complete depending on the the review cycle!

i find the first more logical! I just wanna hear from you! which is better! what other ways are there! which stands stronger in claim/delay analysis and arbitration.

Thank you!

Replies

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Engineering Submittals? or is it Detailed Design Deliverables?

I suggest you set the budget in terms of man-hours (total).

If you had consumed half of your man-hours and you think that what you got actually (deliverables) is not workable, change your consultant.

Rami Al Haddad
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thank you guys for all your replies,

let’s take this discussion further, u all agree on that 2 activities are enough; say submit and review, which makes perfect sense.

but updating is a different issue cuz:

Chances are the submittal will not be approved from the first time, during schedule preparation i take this into consideration by making sure submit/review activities are start well in advance of the time they are required (normally 2 to 3 submit/review cycles). now once thats established, the updating is a different story.

the % complete method: the % is not accurate since u never know how many re-submittals ur going to do! simply considering it 50% until it is approved doesn’t make much sense either! besides, a submittal is never a submittal until it is actually complete and approved.

lets not use a % complete! and put just actuals! what then! what if the submittal is rejected! u will remove the actuals on the next update! it doesn’t sound right either! as a matter of fact! it is confusing! one update its done! the next it’s not!

i don’t like the % complete way! in any case! it doesn’t really show whose delaying the submittal or what! it just shows 2 activities in progress! which is not the point! the point is! which activity is holding the progress! submittal or review!

so what do u think now guys! for me i’m still investigating!

thanks again for all the replies!
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rami,

We are showing all the submittal in the "Program of Works" this is divided into 4 sections; Architectural, Civil, Mechanical, Electrical. All materials in the BOQ to be included.

Percentage is used to show progress on the submittal. 100% is given when the material is "Approved".

Best,

Samer
exofo Ng
User offline. Last seen 15 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
To me, engineeering consists of several steps (Preliminary, discussion, sent for approval, return of approval, modification etc) if this step could be broken down in % and measured against Mhr expediate. it would at least provide a minmium platform for measuring progress, But again, it depend on the skill level of the designer..
James Shimmon
User offline. Last seen 13 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
quite right Dieter, engineering are notoriously slippery and need to be pinned down so you can hold them accountable
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline
Rami
I would prefer 2 activities as well. Between issue/submission and approval date weeks easily pass. Later you’ll be able to show who is responsible for a delay.
In addition, these dates can influence percent complete and the cash flow.
Regards
Dieter
James Shimmon
User offline. Last seen 13 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
if you are showing it as two discrete activities in the schedule then I would use method 2, you could then follow up with adding another activity that involves rework from the engineering review