Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Updating Schedule

5 replies [Last post]
Kameshwar Pandey
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hay guys

Can anybody advise me how to copy and paste the activity from one schedule to the another ,I repeat "COPY AND PASTE".Since when I am doing it, I find that the activities are not assigned to any Code although they are assinged to specific code in the schedule from where they are copied.Hence i have assign codes to all the activities again. I must tell you that the activity codes exist in the project but they are not assigned to any activity.

For e.g I have a project group QU20 with just one sub project QSTP. Now when i update its activities from say another project group QU21 with sub project QSTP, I m losing the all the assigned codes.

Please help

Replies

Kameshwar Pandey
Hi Vankatesh,

Thank you for bringing this method to my notice. It is good way to update the schedule without any fuss. Although I still can’t understand the root cause of the problem. Anyway thanx to all you guys for your help.

Cheers

Kamesh
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Kamesh,
When I copy and paste the activities pasted contain the same code data (I.E. code fields are copied). The only issue that you may have is if the 2 projects are sitting on different branches of you EPS and the activity codes are set as EPS codes.

This being the case you should promote the codes to global or create the same codes at an EPS level on the adjoining EPS.

This can also be done by creating the code header fields and then exporting and importing your project, the codes will then be populated under their respective headers. But of course there is a catch with tis too, in that if you are not using all of your codes, (All code elements assigned at least once) within the project that you want to export then import, then those code elements that are not used will not be re-created.

If I’m moving projects between databases, I create a series of activities under a seperate WBS node to which I assign at leaset one instance of every code element, then as long as the parents are created in the new database prior to import they will all be populated in the code dictionary.

Andy
venkatesh K
User offline. Last seen 6 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Kamesh,

did u try the export and import option. i think this is you meant. if not please explain me further.

Venkat
Kameshwar Pandey
Dear Andy

What I have understood from your reply is that every time when you update your shcedule by COPY AND PASTE method, you loose the codes and then you again go through the whole process of assigning codes to the activities.

This is easy way to do it if you have a small schedule. But what if your shcedule contains almost 5000 activities? due you think it is still practical thing to use the method u suggest? B’coz it will take a very long time to do it.

Please correct me if I have misunderstood what you have said.

Thanks n regards

kamesh
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Kameshwar

The code fields will be retained when doing a copy and paste.

There is an exception however;
If you have your project layout set up to be grouped and sorted by a particular code field, then that is the code that will be changed and all others will remain the same.

So you will need to designate all other codes and WBS to an activity that is copied from one project to another.

At least that’s what I have to do every time I do it.

Andy