Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project Management Software - Replacement for InControl

3 replies [Last post]
Steve Lindsay
User offline. Last seen 4 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
We are an Oil and Gas Engineering Consultancy and currently use InControl by Worley Parsons for in-house engineering planning, budget, progress control & reporting and document control. Worley Parsons has recently taken the decision to withdraw external suppport for InControl. In the short term we have no option but to contiue using it but need to source a replacement incase of system failure, which would leave us of the proverbial creek without a paddle.

System overview InControl is built up of a number of modules using a file sharing system.

Primarily this gives us:

Proposal Generator: CTR sheets with scope, inputs deliverables man-hours and costs etc, barchart, histogram and a number of tabular reports.

Project Control: All of the above with the addition of actual and earned man-hours and more reports. progress is generated via the deliverables module by creating predefined progress gates linked to issue status automatically updated when a transmittal is generated

Deliverable Control: Engineering and Venfor deliverable control - revision history, transmittal history, expediting and MDR reports.

There is much more besides the brief description given above.

Does anyone know of a similar system which I can review as a possible replacement.

Replies

Steve,
I don’t suggest to step backward. I am sure that resource management capabilities of Primavera or Spider Project exceed capabilities of InControl. I think that document management software like Lotus Notes has advantages too. Maybe you shall look for the decision that combines the strengths of several software packages instead of using all in one solution. And maybe you will be able to improve your performance using new features that are necessary but absent in InControl?
Steve Lindsay
User offline. Last seen 4 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Vladimir I understand the view you are expressing and do realise that I may not be able to source and off the shelf replacement with exactly the same features. However as a starting point I also cannot afford to immediately take a backward step and look for an inferior product.
Steve,
I don’t know InControl software like many others in this forum. I don’t think that you will find the program that repeats all features of InControl. But you may find other programs that can do things that InControl did not do at all.
I think that you shall define your requirements not basing on the current routine. Just imagine that you have perfect software and try to find software packages that best fit to your requirements.
Regards,
Vladimir