Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Just Asking

5 replies [Last post]
Rick Aquino
User offline. Last seen 13 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All,

As a Planning Engineer, Do i have to include in my job listing the tools, office supply, water tank and other things needed for the mobilization? Are you doing it? and if the sub-contractor had given you their schedules, Do i really have to modify and shorten it, or just follow their schedules and push them afterwards.(if their schedule is delayed)
Note: by the way, we are the main contractor.

Thanks

Rick

Replies

Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Usually, a one line item in a schedule is sufficient to indicate mobilization activities, but sometimes it is necessary to indicate related tasks (such as running conduit for electrical hookups to a trailer, or establishing telephone/LAN service to a temp. office) if they are the responsibility of the owner.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems
ulysses garcia
User offline. Last seen 13 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
I agree with you, the best way to make the schedule is simplicity..as said ..K.I.S.S.

the contractor will make the schedule at thier option they think best to suit thier project requirement. if they are not violating the contract schedule there no reason to reject the schedule for the reason of Method and Means.

Eliza Cote
User offline. Last seen 13 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Rick -

I normally have a line called MOBILIZATION which covers all the things you have listed. I do not normally go into that much detail and find that unless it is required for one reason or the other, it makes the schedule much too cumbersome.

If a subcontractor submits a schedule to me I do not automatically change my schedule to match his information. Only if I agree with his schedule would I make the changes. If I do not agree I would set up a meeting with the sub to see how we can work things out so the overall schedule is not affected.
Rick Aquino
User offline. Last seen 13 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Ashraf,

Thanks for your quick reply,i really appreciate it.

Thanks Again.

Rick
Ashraf Jahangeer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

Depending upon contract and sub-contract you have to include all what is needed to set-up the site including but not limiting to the tools, office supply, water tank and other things which are needed for the mobilization?

Yes as a planning engineer we are doing it, our job is limited to indicating and follow-up?

Regarding the sub-contractor schedules, you have to make it suitable and logical for the desired window of his duration and suitable for his part of job rather than just sqeezing it or leaving it as it is.

Regards,

Ashraf