Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Rule of Thumb

11 replies [Last post]
Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
Help fellow planners,
I am currently trying to finalise & justify a couple of programmes here in Bucharest.

One project is for 300 apartments built in a mixture of 12 and 5 stoey towers. These are for private sale.

I am able to assess programme durations for individual apartments but am unsure as to the overall completion rate achievable.

In the UK I would work on the basis of about 4 - 6 apartments per week. I am being pushed by a Project Manager with an eye on prelims and Client wishes to increase this rate on the basis that completion is determined by access rate (Number of apartments avaialable on completion of floor)

Has anyone got any views on overall completion date and perhaps level of site management required to achieve higher rates. PM wants 10-16 apartments per week and there are max 12 on a block floor.

Replies

Andrew Pearce
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
my thumb is about 2.5 inches long does that help

ha ha ha ha ha
Andrew Pearce
In my experience size is not important!(thats what I tell the girls anyway).
In housing projects the larger the apartment either in terms of m2 or number of rooms becomes a factor in how much labour you can get in an apartment. I tend to work on the basis of one trade only in a unit, max 2 trades ie joiner and plumber.
The apartments are fairly repetitive.
At this time we do not know what resources are available as none of the internal subcontracts have been let.

I believe that rules of thumb are very important when you cannot fully define the project/programme
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
you only mentioned your target number of apartments to be released but you never mentioned the size, how big are these apartments (in terms of sq.m.)? are these typical in terms of design?

calculations must be based on practicable rates, i don’t believe in the rule of thumb.

check your available resources and production rates...
Andrew Pearce
I would have thought that
" What I was getting at is the rate at which you can complete apartments, the snag/de snag/commission (we have heating here!)client inspection proceedures. The project I am working on will release up to 18 apartments a week for fit out based on the RC frame programme."
Was sufficient info, but for the record,
We are using the MIVAN sytem of RC Construction which is an aluminuim system producing fast production rates.
The internal fit out comprises plasterboard partition walls, screed floors with underfloor heating, timber floors, fully fitted kitchens & bathrooms.

I am primarily interested in the rate at which apartments can be completed (internal fit out) although if you have any advice as to the overall duration to fit out a 2 bed 1bathroom apartment from weathertight stage that would be useful.

Richard Spedding
User offline. Last seen 5 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Andrew / Clive
I think that in terms of West European apartments, experience says that getting 6 apartments (say 30 rooms) per week out of each team carrying out a workfront fitting out is the maximum achievable. That’s snagged / desnagged / commissioned and accepted by the client organisation.
Therefore you will need to make sure you can get 3 teams fitting out efficiently throughout the completion period, to take on 18 apartments per week. Maybe you can incentivise them by competing with each other during the fit-out.
In UK the rate of fitting out is often determined by the developers marketing department, based on the number they can sell without impacting on the selling price, thus maximising the return to the developer.
Andrew Pearce
Hi Clive,
From your regular posts you seem a sound guy! What I was getting at is the rate at which you can complete apartments, the snag/de snag/commission (we have heating here!)client inspection proceedures. The project I am working on will release up to 18 apartments a week for fit out based on the RC frame programme.

By the way how is HK was there in 96/97 with BCJ on the airport - loved it!
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Andrew at 4 to 6 a week dont come to Hong Kong
We completed a number of projects last year where we had upwards of 1500 appartments handed over in less than 3 months
A great deal of what you are able to do depends on how quickly the units are selling
However from 6 a week thats only one a day which seems real;ly low
I agree with Brian that it depends on the work stream however if you have good progression down the flats more than 6 a week must be achievable
Mooney Brian
User offline. Last seen 15 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Andrew

I have worked on a few residential projects. I am currently working on a 440 apartment project in the UK.

Your 4 - 6 apartment completions per week seems sound. I would only consider increasing this if you had a seperate workstream ( different management & subcontract teams.)

If you were targeting 12 per week I would consider 3 workstreams @ 4 completions per week.

I hope this helps

Regards

Brian
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Andrew,

I check my thumb and I see no more prints. Are you going to hire a Planner or what?
Andrew Pearce
84 views and no replies??
Someone must have a view!