Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Wishing to make a start in Planning

5 replies [Last post]
Skan Bu
User offline. Last seen 13 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

I am no planner nor had any experience.
If I wish to start in this line & initially start privately since my employer is a small set up & have not indicate any interest. I guess the correct planning softwrae will help & what else?

1) Any advise?
2) Where I can get a copy of software (if free or otherwise)& what equipments are needed?
3) Which software is suitable/popular & reasons?
4) What kind of reading or training necessary?
5) Where to obtain data or backup?
6) Where I can get help (tutor/mentor)?
7) Is there a career path if taken up seriously & what?
8) Others...

Replies

Chris Dewhurst
User offline. Last seen 16 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Oh yeah, forgot the questions

1) Any advise?
See last post

2) Where I can get a copy of software (if free or otherwise)& what equipments are needed?
Check www.primavera.com see what is on offer although I dont think they do a demo anymore, could be wrong, you may have to contact them.

3) Which software is suitable/popular & reasons?
Primavera P3e V5 is current, industry standard
Microsoft Project (cheaper option)

4) What kind of reading or training necessary?
P3e training, check www.forgetrack.co.uk

5) Where to obtain data or backup?
Dont quite understand but if you mean further information, just browse the net.

6) Where I can get help (tutor/mentor)?
Training for tutor, Mentor is generally found within a training/Junior employment position.

7) Is there a career path if taken up seriously & what?
Career path can lead into Project Management, if only interested in money best to stick with contract work and stick with planning, permanent jobs should pay better for PM’s as a planner is technically assisting the PM.

8) Others...
Nothing else really, good luck.
Chris Dewhurst
User offline. Last seen 16 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I think it could be difficult to try to "get into the game" without prior knowledge or assistance with training from an employer.

I paid for my own P3e V5 training last year to a total of £1500 plus X’s with a view to gaining some experience with my employer and moving onto contract work in 07 due to a fixed term contract coming to an end.

I have since secured a position on a permanent basis as a trainee/junior planner, re-sat the training and am currently learning with the help of a mentor which for me seems to be the best way to ensure a good level of experience and a good resource to learn from.

That being said, it would not be impossible to self teach with a decent level of planning understanding and a fairly flush bank balance for the training and the software if you were to buy it as opposed to downloading a 30 day demo and trying to cram as much ’xp’ in as possible.

Your experience could go against you when applying for jobs, but there are some places which may accept you as a junior even on contract rates, which can be very lucrative compared to permanant rates.

Dont let the lack of experience put you off, there seem to be quite a few inexperienced planners out there who are doing very well for themselves and we all gotta learn somewhere.
Skan Bu
Hi Chris,

Thank you very much & most appreciated. A BIG CHEER & THANKS

I posted this a while now and considering there are so many planners here, you gave the most honest and appropriate advise. Keep up the good work.

The planning world need people like you who honestly want to help and passed on valuable experience learnt. Been there, done it, ate it, wear it and now know the short coming too.

Beginners will appreciate your advise. If the beginners know where to find the answer, do you think they will ask for help?

Thanks once again

Danya Pearce
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
The best way to become a planner is to be employed as a junior planner and get ’mentored’ as this will speed up your learning curve.

It is possible to do some self teaching but if you want to really get the expertise, you need to train with someone in the know.

Good luck
Skan Bu
Hi,

Take it step by step as an "idiot guide"
Assume only that this is a complete novice.

Thanks