Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Changing from 8 to 19 working hours per day

14 replies [Last post]
Ramon Moreño
User offline. Last seen 10 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Guys,

Just want to gather some infos re the above stated subject. We have submitted a proposal programme to our client based on 8hrs per day (1 shift) during our tender stage and we also submitted an official document that we will be working 19hrs per day(2 Shifts)to finish the job. It’s clear that there’s no proper coordination between the one who developed the programme and the one who made the documents that were submitted to the client. Is there any way I can apply the 19hrs/day without affecting the duratiions? We need to retain all the durations as we have shown in the first programme and we also need to reflect the 19hrs/day based on the documents we submitted to the client. I’m using P6.1. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Cheers,
RMoreno

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 43 min ago. Offline
Ramon,

Your welcome.

Best regards,
Rafael
Ramon Moreño
Hi Rafael,

Thank you very much.
Ramon Moreño
Hi Arnold,

I have also mentioned in my post no. 4 "In order to retain the SD and FD"

that’s why I multiplied the original duration to 2.375 to achieve the Orig SD and FD which is my primary reason. By retaining all those Original SD and FD of every activities it will surely retain the duration of the whole project. And again sorry for the confusions I should have said in my previous postings the duration of the project and not the durations of the activities.

Please refer also to those who replied, they know exactly what are my queries.

Anyway, thank you again for sparing time for this, I really appreciate it.

Ramon
Ramon Moreño
Hi again Arnold.

Sorry for the confusion, Please refer again to my post no 1 and please don’t focus only on how to change working hours from 8 to 19hrs. It was also mentioned there "Is there any way I can apply the 19hrs/day without affecting the duratiions? We need to retain all the durations as we have shown in the first programme and we also need to reflect the 19hrs/day based on the documents we submitted to the client". Anyway, thank you very much.

Ramon
Rafael Davila
Ramon,

Remember relationship lag is defined using calendars the same way activities durations.

Because SureTrak planning unit is hours always (no choice even if dispaying time in days format), instead of days, when required to convert SureTrak P3 files to P3 files with days as the planning unit a global change to activity durations (Original, Actual, Remaining …) using a factor was not enough. Because lag is a field not available in P3 in the Global Changes the only way was to do it manually (a joy) or using Excel to manipulate these fields. This is similar to what you have to do, just a different factor. I believe your factor of 2.375 is correct in your case, but you still have to apply it to other fields, not only original duration.

Also keep in mind that in P6 you can define individual relationship calendars, make sure you re-define these as required.

The following illustrates the Global Change definition I used. I no longer have P3 this is from a gsphic file I still have.

Global Change - Durations

Best regards,
Rafael
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ramon,

I am getting confused with you.

According to your Post #1
(Is there any way I can apply the 19hrs/day without affecting the duratiions? We need to retain all the durations as we have shown in the first programme and we also need to reflect the 19hrs/day based on the documents we submitted to the client).

And according to your post #4
(I’ve already defined the 19hrs Calendar and applied it, the duration decreased).

I divided 19hrs to 8hrs (19/8=2.375) then multiply it to the original duration , the result will be the new duration.. What do you mean?

Which one is correct?

Regards,

Arnold
Ramon Moreño
Hi Alaa,

Thanks, Please see my reply to Arnold.

Regards,
Ramon
Ramon Moreño
Hi Arnold,

Thanks but this is not what I need, this steps is just a setting of Calendar. I’ve already defined the 19hrs Calendar and applied it, the duration decreased. In order to retain the SD and FD of the activity I divided 19hrs to 8hrs (19/8=2.375) then multiply it to the original duration , the result will be the new duration and it will return again on its SD and FD but the only problem is that activity B starts at the same date where activity A finishes even though I imposed a "FS Relationship" between Activity A and Activity B. This is what i am trying to solve now.

Regards,

Ramon
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ramon,

You can assign the 19 hrs/day calendar without affecting the Original Duration however, the finish date of that particular task will change as well as the start date of its successor will also vary. If this is what you need then try the following:

1. Go to Enterprise --> Calendar, create a new calendar.
2. In the Calendar Box, select the "Workweek...”
3. In Calendar Weekly Hours Box, change the Standard work hours (e.g. Sun, Mon, Tue,....Sat..) from 8 to 19.

Regards,

Arnold
Rafael Davila
Don’t forget about relationship lag.
Alaa Al haj
User offline. Last seen 7 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

i don’t think it is possible
because if you change the calendar ( start Date & finish Date ) defiantly will be changed but OD (Original Duration)

so if you want to keep the same start date and finish date for all activities you have to change the duration by factor = the increase working hours

from 8 wh TO......... 19 Wh

so the new duration will be

new duration = old duration * 19/8

hope it is clear
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Ramon

Sorry - I should have said INCREASE the gang size.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Ramon

If you do not have resource modelling then set up a work pattern that has a day shift and a night shift and apply it to the calendar.

If you have set up resource modelling then reduce the gang sizes to achieve the same overall duration.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Ramon Moreño
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I’ve already tried the option 2 before but the duration increased when I reduced the gangs.

I did not try the option 1, as much as possible I want to use the first programme for time saving purposes. Anyway, thanks very much and hope to get another possible ideas from you.

Best regards,

Ramon