Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

FEL

6 replies [Last post]
Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Hello all,

Could u please tell me something about FEL "Front End Loading".

Thanks.

Marcio Eduardo.

Replies

Marcio Sampaio
Thanks Gary.

Regards.
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 13 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I’ve come across a different application of the term. Can’t remember where though, and have no material on it:

Front-End Loading is the concept that the more up-front work you do on planning activities such as risk identification & mitigation, nailing down resource requirements, plant & material costs, schedule, etc; the quicker & cheaper the project will be delivered.
It relies heavily on the fact that the later on in a project a required change in scope / schedule / design / resource requirements etc is identified, the more it costs in terms of money & time.
A pretty basic concept of planning really, but I think the idea was to be prepared to delay the project start / funding approval until you can be highly confident your estimates are accurate enough.
Of particular use I guess in projects like refitting an offshore platform, where money spent on up-front planning is a pittance compared to saving a day or two of having the platform shutdown, but I would imagine this is standard practise anyway in such industries.
Marcio Sampaio
Thanks for your reply Simon and Raja.

I found a very good material on:

www.ipaglobal.com

Regards.

Marcio eduardo.
Simon Peter Cordner
User offline. Last seen 13 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I think you’re referring to the practice of over-stating the costs of early activities of construction on the project’s schedule of values.

The idea is that since the early activities are paid out first, the Contractor can give himself some more operating capital through by inflating the price of excavation, trenching, and concrete work. He’ll be able to pay out his early subtrades (minus holdback) and use the leftover as an operating contingency.

This is all assuming that we’re talking about the same thing.
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
Can U specified the subject more detail... FEL relate to what? Process, Sequence or etc.
Marcio Sampaio
Or,

Where can i find material about this topic??

Thanks.