Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Stored period performance

3 replies [Last post]
Francis Moyalan, ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi ,

I have come across stored period performance option in primavera ,

Can anybody help me in making me understand the usage of the same, in the context when I am using cost accounting codes in the program,

Cheers,

Francis

Replies

Sonia Thomas
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Francis,

As Mr. david say, ’store period perfomance’ is for storing periodical actuals..it is important when your activities are resource & cost loaded.

’Actual to date’ fields of resource/cost of the activity shows the cumulative actual so far. Meaning, if an activtiy started 2 months before and achieved 60% progress, we get 60% of the budgeted cost as the earned value (and actual to date, unless you edit it manually). But it does not tell you what progress/value you achieved in last month. may be in 1st month you achieved 20% progress and in second month 40%. Only when you do ’store period perfomance’ BEFORE each update, you get the periodical value (actual this period). When you do the store period perfomance, P3 sets all ’actual this period’ to zero, so that periodical increment of ’actual to date’ is stored here.

regards
Sonia
Francis Moyalan, ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi David,

Thanks for your mail,

now application looks some what ok for me,

In what context it has to be used ,

but if any example can be given to illustrate this and the steps involved in this,

Thanks
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline
The fact that you are using cost accounts leads me to believe you need this option.

I primarily work with Oil and Gas clients in the North Sea, and what we tend to call "Earned value history" rather than "Past period Actuals" has been an issue for 25 years.

Let us assume that an activity has a duration that extends through several reporting periods, say 5 weeks. Week one the activity starts, but percent complete is zero, week two it is still zero, week three it is still zero, week four we get 80% complete reported.

Without Past Period Actuals, Primavera only knows the start date and 80% complete, thus it reports 20% earned each week. With PPA, the real earned value per period is held, along with the actual hours each week, rather than the total actual hours divided by 4.

Without PPA the historic part of an "s" curve CHANGES as Primavera averages the "to date" Earned and actual values over the number of periods, With PPA the correct period values are held.

Of course no one who is involved in planning - "what happens next"- cares about this, but cost engineers - "when did we spend what" do. If you are using Primavera for earned value analysis and costing as well as planning you need this.