Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planners and Planning Engineers

23 replies [Last post]
manulal inasu
User offline. Last seen 18 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
What are the benefits of a planner being an engineer also?

Manu.

Replies

Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Thats good
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Clive,

My record on projects is a little bit better:-)
Clive Randall
3 attempts at producing a successfull outcome seems reasonable to me
Clive
Philip Jonker
Hi Oscar,

Only been married three times, but the plans on the last wedding was the most successful, and the marraige as well. Had it on my own veranda with only minimal guests, the good people in my life, and it was on time, within budget, and real quality, all the things a succesfull project needs

Regards

Philip
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Based on the Charlie logic we are all planners if we are married cos we planned our wedding on this basis as at least 90% of the world gets married the world is full of planners and some of us who are particuarly bad husbands wives become double or triple planners
Philip planning a wedding is just a little bit less difficult than planning a journey in space??? Have sent my CV to NASA as been married 5 times so must be suitably experienced to plan the next space shuttle docking. Actually also have some experience of docking too
LOL
Oscar
Clive Randall
Edgar
The risk of actually getting a cold beer or of planning a wedding in North Korea?

Clive
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Clive,

Is it possible? Would you mind analyzing the risk?

Best regards,

Edgar
Clive Randall
Edgar
Are you planning a wedding in North Korea??
Like the idea of the ice cold beer though.
Kind regards
Clive
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Everyone,

Planning Planet & an ice cold beer are life’s little rewards that makes you forget you’re just fired from work or even your wife I guess.

Here, you will find real views from real people disguised as Planners. Though some views are intoxicating, it is sometimes motivating.

cheers

p.s. anybody from north korea who uses Cobra & maybe kind enough to share his views???
Philip Jonker
Hi Guys,
As a a matter of interest, I attended a workshop on projects some 12 years ago, which related projects to the various factors involved, ie cost, time, quality and complexity, and the most complex projects was no 1 a space journey, and no 2 a wedding.This sounds like a joke, but it is actually true, just study the factors, and the amount of trouble you can get into if you got a wedding wrong, at least for a space project, you can give some excuses.

Regards
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
If I were you, I wouldn’t contemplate planning a wedding. We’d probably come to the conclusion that, for the time and cost, getting married is not an economically viable project. Perhaps better to "outsource" the required services to an independent provider.

James :-)
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
I think I might take up wedding planning, sounds like a great idea... thanks Charlie
Clive Randall
Charlie
Lots of words
The drift appears to be from others that:
If you want to be listened too it is better to listen first
As an example if you would like a seal to perform remember to bring the fish
Planning is very much about bringing the fish and those fish must be liked by the seals you are asking to perform.
No matter what level of education you have, fundamental planning is about communication, and being able to see the big picture, in turn its about making that big picture easy to understand by others who may not be planners.
Please remember planners do not rule the world however much we would like to think we do.
Good planners resolve issues before they become problems, bad planners dont identify the issues and then solve a problem with a solution that nobody can understand.
Planning is not complicated to quote from yourself "all homo sapiens do it"
Keep it simple and you will succeed
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Msnulsl,

Almost all homo sapiens plan. This was recorded in the history of mankind. The brain of the homo sapiens plans to survive the harsh reality of life. In this regard, homo sapiens are planner.

The latest addition of planners are the wedding planners. I heard they made big bucks and they don’t even have to be engineers.

There are some industry, construction for one, that client want planning engineers to do the planning. The advantage of planners being engineers is the educational training related to mathematics sub subject theory of probability, contracts, construction method and project management.

The engineer can present a mathematical model of the project, can present "what if scenarios" that involve engineering computation, etc.

In conclusion, in addition to the basic homo sapiens planning mindset, a planner with an engineering background (engineer) can elevate planning exercise to its pinacle by his/her ability to apply his knowledge of mathematics, his/her knowledge and understanding of project management, etc, etc ...

Cheers,

charlie
Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
I think its a big advantage when you’ve done the proces your self as a planning engineer.
Because then you’re less depending on the (poor) information u usualy get to make the planning.
And you can defend your planning in a better way.
For me i’ve done construction work myself in the field and now i’m planning it. it makes a big difference because the people who have to work wit it can ask the questions and you’re capable to give the good answers

Never the les i dont think its absolutely neccecary, but as told it gives you a big advantage.

Kind Regard

Henk
Raza Abbas Naqvi
User offline. Last seen 14 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Friends;Hope you all doing well. If anyone can please tell me abt. any training course on PLANNING & SCHEDULING OF MAINTENANCE JOBS WITH SAP.OR PLANNING & SCHEDULING OF SHUTDOWN???????
If anyone has taken this course from anywhere or can recommend at any place around the globe then i’ll be really thankful.
Plz. use my email: abbas_iit@yahoo.com
Take care all.
waiting for ur response
Clive Randall
oh I c
Gordon Blair
Clive,
Judging by the current incumbent..... redundant
Clive Randall
Gordon
What is a book in a whitehouse library???
Clive
Gordon Blair
Having seen this from ’both sides of the fence’, as it were (having planned both within, and outside my discipline), perhaps I can help.

Firstly, and most importantly, you must be able to plan. Not manipulate software, or produce reports, these are just things that you do while planning; you must have the right methodical approach and mindset to understand the implications of what you are doing with the software.

You must be prepared to listen, particularly if you are outside your field. You may produce an all singing, all dancing plan that is a beauty to behold... but if it is unachievable, or bears little resemblance to the manner in which the work will be completed, it is less use than a book in the Whitehouse Library.

If you can do all of the above, and a little more besides, you will be able to offer a degree of Planning support to your Project.

What you will not be able to provide is the more Qualitative side to the job, advising on the feasability and discipline related implications of various courses of action. This CAN be picked up by the Senior Engineer in post, but you’ll be a far happier and more secure and confident Planer if you can do a degree of this yourself.

In summary, yes, you can plan for a project for which you hold no formal qualification, but your value will be limited to quantitive support by your lack of experience. But beware the engineer who has learnt the software, but not how to Plan.
Clive Randall
Then on that basis I do not believe it is neccessary planning is a mindset of course formal qualifications in a field are helpfull
There are a number of other threads on this subject.
Kind regards
Clive
manulal inasu
User offline. Last seen 18 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Let it be " some one who is professionaly qualified in a related field of engineering. for eg a civil engineering graduate in construction industry."
Clive Randall
Im not sure what you your definition of an Engineeer is
Clive