Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Organisational Breakdown Structure

6 replies [Last post]
Dave Chojnacki
User offline. Last seen 18 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can someone explain to me the importance of creating an organisational breakdown structure? Is it absolutely neccessary that one be created or is it more so for more closely monitoring specific resources etc...???

Replies

Joanne Foster
User offline. Last seen 16 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
and OBS is basically an Organisation Chart for the project, this can be cross-referenced to the WBS to produce a Responsibility Assignment Matrix

http://www.nnh.com/ev/ram2.html.
Andrew Tan
User offline. Last seen 11 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
hi,
If you have organisational breakdown structure format, do share it. I have not encounter it before though in accordance with PMP guidelines, it is a method to control information distribution which includes report dissemination and change manangement. Not sure whether it is true.
Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Dear all;

I use OBS to set responsibilities to the different departments of the company and to generate reports with filters for each one of them.

Best regards.

Marcio Eduardo
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil.
Sorry, Dave,
I use other software.
I suggest to put your questions to P3e forum and to try to get answers there.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Dave Chojnacki
User offline. Last seen 18 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Vladimir, for the first time I have just commenced work with a company that is just about to get the latest version of P3E 5.0 up and running. I am starting everything from scratch. I been using primavera for a year or so however I have not had to go to this complexity before. If you are using primavera any other advice/tips would be appreciated..

Regards,
Dave.
Dave,
creating OBS you will be able to set tasks for the organizational departments, to plan their project budgets, etc. It is especially useful for project portfolio management in matrix organizations.
Best Regards,
Vladimir