Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

ACTIVITIES FOR PIPE-RACK ERECTION

14 replies [Last post]
Ted Davies
User offline. Last seen 18 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
HI, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE SEQUENCE OF ACTIVITIES RELATED FOR A PIPE-RACK ERECTION, FROM FOUNDATIONS TO THE END, PLEASE. I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IN WHAT % COMPLETE YOU START THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITY AND WHAT ACTIVITIES CAN BE START TO START. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Replies

Brennan Westworth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
it depends what stage design is at.

I firmly believe that a definative estimate should be prepared as design issues IFC drawings.

This serves many purposes.

primarily to quantify what you are actually going to build.

and then to compare to what was budgetted,
Neeraj Agarkar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
IMHO, using tender estimates for resourcing is not a good practice.
Your project manager / erection crew can list their preference of resources.
Get quantity estimate from fabrication drawings.
You can use the production rates published in this website to calculate the resource requirements.
For structural steel piperacks, detail planning is required for erection sequence (approach, fabrication output, Crane lift and capacity and methodology etc).
HTH
Neeraj
Joel Gilbert
User offline. Last seen 4 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Brennan,
Got the Photo’s. Pretty much like you described it

Ted,

First photo Total structural steel, can be erected by doing the columns and cross members, and preliminary alignment first. If bib enough crane available then erect the pre-assembled cages and place on columns. Otherwise build in sections as already suggested by Brennan.

Second Photo the white Pipe racks, I can’t see too well it seems it is all-concrete except for the top cage above the 4th level. Or it is also all structural steel but has been fireproofed.

Question of resourcing, your company must have estimated for this project get the man-hours from the project manager and estimate. The estimate should be up into Labor and skilled and give you a good indication.

How many Tons of structural steel has to be erected? in how long a period? How many sufficient tonnage cranes is at your disposal? answers that you must find out.

Hope this helps.
Ted Davies
Thanks for your answers. Now I would like to know the resources you need when erecting a pipe-rack as shwon in the pictures. Tahnks again.
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I guess the existing plant is about to retire. I just hope you still got the original as-built drawings with you.

Oh, you will be working with live pipes & wires...

but you can always try excavation manually (that’s a lot of U.S. visa)
Brennan Westworth
if u can see them then u can save them
think about it.... they are already on your hard disk somewhere.

i just emailed u the pictures if by chance u are viewing this forum on your pocket pc =)
Joel Gilbert
eeerrrmmm, I’m not set for that otherwise I would not of made the request. Duuhhh.
Brennan Westworth
errrrm.... just right click on them and choose "save picture as"
Joel Gilbert
Ted.

Can you mail me the Photo’s at joel.gilbert@amec.com

Thanks.
Brennan Westworth
They are good photos

as you can see there are concrete footings, the photo at the bottom appears to be a concrete structure.

Structural Steel:
- columns
- Beams
- Infill Steel
Look at the modularisation, can sections be preassembled off site or away from the workfront?

You would want to put your long runs of pipe in with the structural steel, alternately you could feed it in from the end but this would be the second preference.

Once the pipe is in and fit up its time to weld out.There are published rates for butt welds.

hydrotesting and drying comes next (by the looks of it you are in a Gas plant which is particularly sensitive to moisture). You will need to talk to the gingerbeers to work out test limits and requirements.

Tie in planning is probably the most crucial part of the operation. In an existing plant this will require interface with operations staff to organise isolations.

Hope this helps
Ted Davies
Thank you guys for your wise answers. I wish to tell you that these are the models of pipe-racks I’d like to know the sequence of activities.

Neeraj Agarkar
To answer your second question.. what activities can be start to start :
Only the linkage between starting activites of sections should be Start to Start like

"Section 1 Excavation" (SS+7days) "Section 2 Excavation" as
Finish of section 1 is not related to start of section 2.

All other activites in Pipeprack are of FS nature.

Regards
Neeraj
Neeraj Agarkar
Ted,
You could divide the pipe rack length into sections, Section 1, 2 ,3 (generally your piping activities will define these sections).
Within section 1, if you have prefabricated columns and beams, start erection as soon as foundations allow it. otherwise calculate erection starting point from the rate of progress of erection w.r.t to the rate of pouring foundations. You dont want your erection crew idling on account of lack of foundations.
regards
Joel Gilbert
Ted.

Are the Pipe racks complete concrete? or is it concrete and structural steel. What king of piperack is it, single, double, triple storey with stairs and gantries ? send a sketch. There are many types of piperacks that can be detailed.

Give PP some info to work with.