Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Crews

6 replies [Last post]
Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 17 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi All,

Last month, we were in the process of preparing a recovery schudule. The management wanted to know so as to how many crews we need. After quite of a what if analysis, the schedule which got finalized was initially starting with 2 crews and 3 more crews joined them in the middle of the project.

Now my question is this as to how will it be possible to print different layouts for differnt crews. (Please note that activties have been loaded for for a single resource i.e EW and the schedule was designed for resource leveling.

Regards,
Rashid Iqbal

Replies

Rashid Iqbal
Thanks Vladimir and Sigfredo,

Vladimir, I’ll try this grouping function of P3e and now as you pointed, I remember that there is something as hierarchical resources in P3. I believe it would also be worth exploring.

Sigfredo, thanks for your response as well. Though, it appears that I have been unable to phrase my question correctly. I would try to express myself better next time.

Regards
Rashid Iqbal
Rashid,
I did not use these functions in Primavera software. I know that there is resource grouping function in P3e Resource Usage Spreadsheet.
If each project activity is performed by one crew you can also create Organizational Breakdown Structure (OBS). OBS can be created by grouping activities where phases are presenting organizational units (crews as an example). Activities shall to crews (corresponding phases) that execute them. One way to do it in P3e – to enter crew names in the user text column for all activities that are performed by this crew and then to group activities by this field.

We use Spider Project software where you can create so called multi-resources (predefined crews) and assign them to activities. Each multi-resource consists of individual resources and assigning multi-resource you assign all of them, You can always change multi-resource membership. You can also create any number of Resource Breakdown Structures and receive reports on crews, departments and any other resource groups. These reports include Resource Gantt Chart that shows periods when individual resources, crews, departments are used on the project activities (totals and on each activity), the cost of their usage, materials that were consumed by resources, crews and departments.
In Spider Project you can use variable resource assignments. For an example you can specify that some activity can be performed by one, two or three crews. Activity execution can start when one crew is available and then two more crews can join the first one if they will become available. Of course activity duration depends on the total productivity of assigned resources.

Regards,
Vladimir
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
If I understood correctly your question, I think what Philip stated is the answer to your question.

You should replace the single resource by assigning the specific crews who will work on specific activity. By doing this you will be able to group the activities by crews. it just so happen you prepared the "what if" analysis using only one resource that’s why you’re having a hard time grouping the resource by the activities they are assigned to.

Hope this would help.

Se
Rashid Iqbal
Vladimir,

Thanks of your reply and i think you have exactly understood what i wanted to convey.

The thing is this the project is levelled and the completion date that we are getting are now acceptable to the client. The project is starting with few crews and then a few more crews are being added 2 months later.

Now to produce schedules for individual crews is giving me a hard time, momentarily i have solved the problem though it is not an efficient way and could only done for a month lookahead or so.

If there is any way to print out a report as which activity is having which crew would certianly solve my problem. Please note the reosurce is ’UG’ with a number of 2 and after some time the limit has been increased to 5.

Currently i am using P3 though i have P3e and I am trying to learn it.If there is any solution like you mentioned something about RBS, please explain a little more. Your guidance would be highly apprecited.

Best Regards
Rashid Iqbal

If there are resource limitations then changing resources to crews is not a solution. Besides you will loose an information about individual resources.
Usually these reports can be obtained if there is Project Resource Breakdown Structure. I don’t know if the software that is used supports RBS.
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Itis simple, change your resources to crews instead of individuals