Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Sub critical paths

18 replies [Last post]
Francis Moyalan, ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi there,

I am working on a residential project-comprising of 6 towers and podium ,

Our critical path goes through the tallest tower,

along with this we have got the critical path running through podium villa internal finishes and testing & commissioning,

means, in the program we have got 3 critical paths alive,

how come a programm can have more than 1 critical path?

i have come across sub-critical paths existing in the program,

Kindly make the concept clear to me,

Regards,

Francis

Replies

And if resources, financing and supplies have limitations then critical activities may be not linked at all.
Subcritical activities have small resource constrained floats.
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
IMO, there’ s no sub critical path.
the "Path" is not really a path like a road from one end to the other end.

critical path is just a collection of critical activities (based on you set up, logic, contraints, resource, float...)no matter where these activities are, on a single path or multi-path
Izam Zakaria
User offline. Last seen 7 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
yeah I’m also confuse with that matters....anybody there give some direction for that subject
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Clive,

This is the best idea I encounter for this week. I will recommend this to be the best idea of the week and hopefully will remain the best idea of the month.

The essence here is that the free flowing of logic should be the first exercise to be made. As much as possible the planner should not be influence by his pre-judgement that this so and so activities will be the critical path based on the project the planner did years back.

This approach is very important to young planners within PP to have the patient in developing proper free flowing logic analysis.

Cheers,

Charlie
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie
As much as I would like too I wont "Oscar" you.
My comments have nothing to do with the "ambience" or even the common practice here in Hong Kong or Asia generally.
The thread I am trying to explore is that when drafting a programme the contractors process must follow a protocol where that which is realistic is paramount. Whether that results in one or several critical paths will only be established as the drafting progrseses. The drafting of the contractors initial programme without Clients constraints save for the start date I believe is good practice, and establishes a realistic basis for a project. The subsequent comparison of what the Clients expectations are and what the Contractor believes is achievable is a fundamental criteria for establishing the risk of a project at the time of tender. In turn it enables a quantifiable estimate to be produced as to the plant, equipment and reduction in productivity required to comply with the clients requirements. In the worst case it enables the Contractor to apportion risk allowances for not meeting the clients requirements. i.e the inclusion in the tender sum for overun costs including but not limited to additional prelims and LD’s.
My concept of including contractors milestones ahead of clients milestones to sound the alarm bells early is again I feel good practical project management. It enables the contractor to react to a situation prior to having penalties imposed upon him. It is I feel much better for a contractor to accelerate activities at his cost to achieve the clients milestone or key date rather than having to spend the money after non achievemnt as well as paying LD’s. I am of the opinion that part of the planners function is to assist the project team in identifying delay trends, mitigating those delays and protecting the commercial viability of the Company.

While Charlie I appreciate you are aware of what you are trying to say I find it difficult to ascertain what that might be. The purpose I feel of this forum is to share our knowledge as best we can rather than hiding our experience from the eyes of others. I would welcome your advice as to whether my concept of planning is acceptable to a man of such experience as yourself, or whether you can advise where in your experience other methods have achived a greater reward for your employer.

While the method adopted in Hong Kong of milestones, key dates, IPS and NPV’s was adopted in the early 90’s for the airport core projects it was drawn from the international arena and relied heavily on methods and systems of project controls adopted in the worldwide petrochem industry.

For my sins I was heavily involved in discussions both with Govenment and contractors in the initial drafting of the programme provisions and the understanding of the programme provisions within the Hong Kong contracting market. I was able to offer hands on experience of these systems from the experience I had gained from utilising the systems with the likes of Shell in Brunei.

From the implementation of the above system in Hong Kong changes and developments took place but the core methods of project control remains and has since been adopted throughout Asia on many Govenment projects.

Notwithstanding the Clients inherent wish to control the funding and progress of a project I feel that the programme realities and achievability lay firmly in the realm of the Contractor and it is his risk at the end of the day. I would suggest that one of the skills of the planning engineer is to identify the risk to the Contractor such that the risk can be quantified. Indeed It is I feel this ability above all else that establishes the commercial viability of planning within a contractors management team.

As to your quest to be Planner Omno (sic) Universale I will leave this "Don Quixote" journey to you, I am happy being a simple planner in the ambience of Hong Kong.

Clive
Charleston-Joseph...
Hello Clive,

What you are saying is the ambience in Hong Kong.

What I’m trying to expound was based on my experience as tender planner, on-going construction planning engineer (Start to Finish) and as forensic planner invovled in claims.

I know what im trying to say because i have been involved in different phase as planning engineer which some are not in the same position as mine.

Remember: Planner Omno Universale - The Universal Planner the ultimate Quest.

Cheers

Charlie
Clive Randall
Charlie
Here what you say about constraints being a factor in determining the critical path. Clearly the contract start and finish date are immovable constraints and the critical path should start on one and end on the other, unless you can complete the project early in which case there is no critical path with zero float, but a critical path ie the longest chain of events.
As for other mandatory constraints imposed by the client I will ignore them until I am sure my logic is correct from start to finish. Actually at the start of a programme drafting the only constraint I use is the start date. Then I see how long the project should take as a first pass and compare that to the clients required end date. If I am adrift by more than 10% I stop and have a serious review of whats driving the delay.
After I am happy with the programme I look at the other required area completion dates. Normally we would express these as key dates and they may or may not have LDs. If our programme cannot achieve them again it a heads up as to why.
I will set up an activity at the end of the string as say area 1 complete (finish milestone) I will then compare this with the constrained date given for area 1 by the client. Usually I will not constrain the programme by using the clients dates but build in some additional safety by constraining my own finish milestone. This provides some alarm bells before the clients date is met and LDs can possibly be avoided. Often this method adds invisible float unless the client really interogates the programme.
Here in Hong Kong we can constrain programmes by Key date constraints but not by constraining milestones which are more commonly used as dates for achievement under the IPS. IE if you dont meet the milestone you dont have LDs but also you dont have any payment until you do achieve it. The milestone is generally a cost centre constraint whereas a key date may reflect a zone completion enabling beneficial occupation or operation which if it is not achieved results in a quantifiable loss and is therfore easier to apportion LDs to.
Clive
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi,

Another factor that influence critical path are the constraints, specifically mandatory constraint.

As much as possible, constraint shall not be use, in this way a free flowing logic can be generated including the critical path.

On the other hand milestone constraint imposed by the client during tender stage shall also be highlighted. Generally, the milestone constraint from the client incoporate liquidated damages clause. As a consequence, this milestone must have a mandatory constraint.

In the build up of your schedule, you will notice progressive critical paths, multiple critical paths due to mandatory constraint impose by the client.

Cheers,

Charlie
Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
based on the adopted definition of the critical path (i.e. zero float), then it is definitely possible to have more than one critical path for a particular project.
David Waddle
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
In the good old days (in my case 1980-early 90’s) we used to calculate the critical path by hand using the forward and backward pass. Simply put, where Early Start/Early Finish = Latest Start/Finish, this was the critical path. By definition the ’path’ was unbroken and float = 0.

There are one or two points here. The first is that it is always a good idea for the planner to be able to work out for him/herself what the cp is. Believe it or not, the computer does not always give the correct answer!

Second, beware as some software packages determine that an activity without a successor link should be treated as critical - check your settings.

Third, why can’t a programme have more than one cp? If the project discussed here were let to 3 contractors to build the 3 towers, we would have 3 cp’s. In this particular instance, however, it depends on the timing and the resource issues, in other words if all 3 buildings are to finish at the same time and there is no commonality between the buildings then there will be more than one cp. If however, the timings are different or there is a movement of resources from one to the other, then the reality is likely to be 1 cp for the project, but several for the contractors construction programmes.

At the end of the day planning is to some extent about being creative and thinking outside of the box, so don’t let yourself be constrained by the ’there can only be 1 cp’ mode of thinking. After all hasn’t anybody here built the roof before the walls before?

David
Clive Randall
Sonia
I cant see a problem with having multiple critical paths I dont feel replanning to ensure only one is created is such a good idea.
Often a programme will have a critical path and subcritical paths. Part of the planning process is to see where the ball is and where it is going. Reviewing float = 0 and then float = 5 then 10 gives agood impression of whats happening
Clive
Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
My understanding is that critical path is normally based on zero float. Not familiar with sub-critical paths. But my logic says it should be quite close to zero, depending on our own definition...can be 1 day float, 2 days, etc...
Sonia Thomas
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Francis,

Critical path is the longest continuous path of the project, which decides the project duration. (Hence the activities of this path have zero total float). If mutiple paths in the network happens to be of same length/duration, then there can have multiple critical paths in the project.

But ideally in the baseline programme we keep only one critical path by re-planninga ctivites. However, during the monitoring stage we can have multiple critical paths, becasue of delays in activites (once an activity reaches or crosses its late dates, it becomes critical).

I think sub-critical path shud be something like secondary critical path - the network path just shorter than the critical path. Hence it cannot have zero float, but the float will be the difference of its length from the critical path’s length..(bcos, this path can afford to delay till critical path finishes!)

regards
Sonia
Sergey Kiselev
User offline. Last seen 2 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Primavera 5.0 is capable of calculating multiple float paths based on Total or Free float.
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
It’s not a term I use myself, so someone else may want to correct me, but as I understand it:
-A sub-critical path is identical in every respect to a critical path, other than the duration is less.
-Hence, total float of the SCP would be zero
-SCP would have an end date equal to end of the project (unless you had constrained other activitites within the project in a way which would set the total float to zero, in which case the end of the SCP could be anywhere)
Francis Moyalan, ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Gary,

As you told, sub-critical path is the additional parallel path which is having duration less than the critical path....

Then my query is whether sub critical path’s end date will determine the project’s finish- or in any way is it influencing the project’s finish?-What will be the total float of the activities in th esub critical path?

As the case in my project, 3 critical paths are there, one through the tower, podium and testing & commisioning-all the 3 having total float eaual to zero,

Cheers,

Francis Varghese
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Francis

In addition to what Gary said, you should have defined what your critical path is... using planning software (e.g. P3) you could define it as "TF less than 0","TF equals 0", or most likely the longest path in your schedule..

Cheers!

Christian
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Taken from an on-line dictionary:

Critical Path is the sequence of project network terminal elements with the longest overall duration, determining the shortest time to complete the project.

The duration of the critical path determines the duration of the entire project. Any delay of a terminal element on the critical path directly impacts the planned project completion date (i.e. there is no float on the critical path).

A project can have several, parallel critical paths. An additional parallel path through the network with the total durations just shorter than the critical path is called a sub-critical path.

Cheers,
G