Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Acceleration Schedule Vs Recovery Schedule

8 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Could someone in this forum clearly explain me the significant differences between Acceleration & Recovery Schedules, Whether it will create a room to Claim additional money from Client due to loss of time.

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Dear hani

You have come into the end of a very old thread.

Please start a new thread with your topic.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Jenny Ingco
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

I have been asked to do Recovery schedule for the old schedule we submitted before 181 days and not started yet. So, to do new one do I need to update data date and change duration to keep same finish date? Please, give me some advises..

Thank you,

Stuart Ness
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Guys,
I can’t agree with you that the title of a Schedule represents the party responsible for the delay caused.
I have seen Acceleration Schedules imposed on Contractors by the Client/Employer simply because the Contractor himself was delayed by his own failures and unable to schedule the project properly.
I have also seen (and been involved in) Recovery Schedules put forward by Contractors when they have suffered from delays caused by the Client/Employer and where they do not want to delay the schedule and get hit (unfairly) for LD’s. Such a Recovery Schedule represents Constructive Acceleration.

I was involved in a project in Brazil last year, where the Contractor prepared a "Hush Plan". It wasn’t until a couple of weeks after my arrival in Brazil that I discovered that a number of Brazilians cannot pronounce the letter "R" and instead use the letter "H". Consequently, what I thought had been a very confidental schedule, was in fact a "Rush Plan" for recovery of the project. ;-)

To reply to the original question, I don’t think that it matters as to what you call the Schedule, the main criteria for claiming extra time and money is down to your entitlement under the Contract and having an excusable delay.
Cheers,
Stuart
www.rosmartin.com
Forum Guest
The topic is quiet interesting really, What i feel, Acceleartion means, to complete the job at any cost in time to meet the dateline. The question arises here is Who caused the delay? If the delay is caused by Client, Contractor will submit EOT Schedule, to avoid this kind of thing, the Client only can request the Contractor to accelerate the job. so i feel Acceleration Schedule is usually prepared at the request of clients, but i’ve no idea whether they will pay any extra money to the contractor!! in order to accelerate the job(anyhow it depends on the mutual agreement as per the project contract).

Also i feel Recovery Schedule is to recover from the loss of time. Again the question arises, who caused the loss of time? this time by the Contractor. so client will request contractor to prepare recovery schedule, therefore the contractor has to bring more resources(of-course based on the remaining bugetted man-hrs)to complete the job in time. Of course, I feel we can’t claim anymoney in the recovery schedule due to contracor’s delay.

So i feel both the terms are used against the contractors by the client. Client only can say the contractor to Accelerate the job, Hence Acceleartion schedule is prepared due to Client’s request(I feel most of the time this kind of schedule is prepared due to client’s delay) and If the Contractor delays the job, Client will instruct the contractor to recover the loss of time, hence Contractor has to prepare and submit the recovery schedule.

Any more suggestions?............

Regards

Daya
Martin Corkill
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Yeah, I agree with Steven. Acceleration programme is for when the client has caused a delay which the contractor is trying to recover for them, a recovery programme is when the contractor has caused the delay itself and is trying to recover. Acceleration will give cause for a financial claim, recovery won’t.
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
The very broad distinction, I would make is that

Acceleration schedule is at client cost to finish the project earlier, whilst a recovery schedule is at contractor cost to recover lost time.

Very broad and very dependant on the project and contract terms. HTH
Forum Guest
Just a question on that last comment "Time is inversely proportional with cost."

IMHO I am not sure if it is entirely true in today’s context !!

However it does open a room for inputs on this point from our learned forum members !

Any comments ?
Ernesto Montales
User offline. Last seen 2 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Acceleration Schedule and or Recovery Schedule is somewhat related in context. When you say acceleration schedule you are in the process of completing the project earlier than the baseline by making , this could apply whether the project is delayed or not. For Recovery schedule the basic meaning itself suggest that we need to get back on track in relation with the baseline schedule, or in can be called accelerated schedule also cause you have to work on a shorter time period that the orginal to get back on track.

Whether recovery or accelarated schedule, there is always additional resources (money, materials,men & machines) involve for the program to take effect, cause Time is inversely proportional with cost.

Regards

E. Montales