Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Turnaround Schedule

7 replies [Last post]
John Nixon
User offline. Last seen 19 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Fellow Members,
I work for a pipeline rehabilitation firm in Houston, TX. I actually am on the sales side of the business now but was in project controls for many years...

I am trying to create a cost-benefit analysis where I take a "typical" boilerplate refinery turnaround schedule (polyethylene or ethylene plant or something like that...) and then demonstrate how in reducing the pipe rehabilitation component of the turnaround my firm’s technology can significantly provide an economic benefit to the client

What I would do is take a P3 or Microsoft schedule, export to Excel, run a C-B analysis (cost-benefit), and then be able to demonstrate the true value of the solution (reduced impact of deferred revenue from shutdown)....

So, can anyone help me with obtaining a P3 or Microsoft-based turnaround schedule?

If you can, please email me at jnixon@verline.com

Cheers,
John

Replies

Emerald’s Turnaround Progressing System (TAPS) uses barcode scanning technology to make updating Oracle Primavera P6 schedules a breeze.

Turnarounds, shutdowns and outages (TSOs) are high-profile, complex and time sensitive projects. With millions of dollars on the line each day in lost revenue and labor costs, it is critical that the TSOs be completed on schedule.

Emerald’s Turnaround Progressing System (TAPS) uses barcode scanning technology to eliminate the need for lengthy manual data entry when updating your Oracle Primavera P6 schedules. Simply use a barcode scanner to find, start and update any activity within the schedule in two fast scans.

TAPS increases your accuracy and cuts your shift statusing time by 75%. Shift reports are delivered on time, allowing management to make informed decisions based on timely insight into the current health of the TSO. Less experienced, less expensive resources can take on the job of updating tasks, while experienced schedulers are freed to analyze and act on the latest data. As a result, issues are avoided or mitigated before ballooning in to larger more expensive problems and the TSO remains on schedule.

Join our free webinar and see how easy TAPS is!

https://lnkd.in/g9F3BhY

John Nixon
Question - is there anyway to do comparative analysis of project-to-project (in SureTrak or MS Project) other than exporting to Excel and using Excel capabilities.... something inherent to SureTrak that I have missed?
John Nixon
Wow... I could not ask for more. What a wonderful forum.. People who can actually help one another! Anything you can find would be GREAT!

John

PS - my email is jnixon@verline.com
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
If I get some time, I’ll try and find an old turnaround schedule with some waste water piping replacement/repair.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems - ATC Professional Shutdown / Turnaround Management System
John Nixon
last post was mine - forgot to login before I posted (sorry)

John Nixon
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for reply. It is Carbon Steel (CS) pipe. 20" I.D. and it is for waste water with weak pH (due to all the effluent from various sources) My firm uses a proprietary ability to insert a prepreg composite material under 2-5 psi pneumatic pressure, and then we cure in place with a patented energy delivery source. So, we can cure in about 60 minutes what takes convential resin-catalyst technologies about 3 days..... The longer the pipe to be repaired, the greater our savings to the customer in terms of time.... so, while I knew there is no such thing as a "typical" turnaround, at least some sort of baseline example would help me in building a model which I could alter project by project....

John
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi John,

"Typical turnaround schedules" is almost an oxymoron - especially with respect to piping repair/maintenance. That fluctuates wildly from unit to unit (and turnaround to turnaround within the same unit).

What type of pipe (CS / SS / Chrome) are you looking for? The cost benefits will be greater with the exotic metals versus carbon steel. Pipe replacement that requires stress relieving is much more expensive (in both time and cost) and has greater risk of impacting the schedule if a weld fails.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems - ATC Professional Shutdown / Turnaround Management System