Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

CIOB Time Control Qualification Launch

10 replies [Last post]
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi All

While we are waiting for the Guild to get its act together please got to:

http://www.ciob.org.uk/ptmq?goback=%2Egde_2199315_member_200360415 

Where the CIOB has launched its new route to Planning/Time control accreditation.

I have just filled in the template for the Qualified by Experience route.

Good luck

Mike Testro

Replies

Mike Testro

Hi All

Another update.

On 29th May I was interviewed for and gained my MCIOB certificate.

It was a relatively painless process lasting about 40 minutes.

One interviewer asked why I have waited 48 years to progress from Licentiate to Member - my response was that I couldn't be arsed to sit another exam.

I was then asked to apply for FCIOB which is now in process.

There is no further movement on the PTMC in spite of a few requests as to progress.

Lets see how things develope.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

I sincerely hope that all such certified personal will be able to answer the following question especially questions 2 and 3, correctly. (Thay are from an exercise in my Project Management class in the MBA program at Suffolk University in Boston):

Activity A has a duration of 10D. It is an SS7 predecessor of B and an FS0 predecessor of C.B has a duration of 10D and is an FS0 predecessor of E.

C has a duration of 8D and is an SS5 predof D and an FS0 predof F.

D has a duration of 10D and is an SS4 predof F.

E has a duration of 7D and is an FS8 predof G.

F has a duration of 15D and is an FS0 predof G.

G has a duration of 10D.

1. Draw the network, do the forward and backward passes, and compute total float.

2. How much time is each critical path activity adding to the project duration

3. If the project’s expected monetary value (EMV) is $400K if completed in 42 days, with a delay cost

of $50K/day and an acceleration premium of $25K/day, and Activity A has a budget of $25K, what is the

true cost of doing Activity A?

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Vasilios Sarras
User offline. Last seen 7 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the update, you seem to be progressing well.

Best Wishes,

Vas 

Mike Testro

Hi All

A quick update on my progress with the CIOB Project Time Management Certificate.

It seems that I am through to the last stage with a professional interview booked at the end of May.

If I get through I will be MCIOB and presumably PTMC.

A warning - once you have paid the initial £75.00 entry fee the next stage costs £500.00.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Mike Testro

Hi All

I filled in the template on 2nd January 2013.

I have paid my £75.00 in advance and I am still waiting for the review interview.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 5 days 14 hours ago. Offline

We are pleased to be part of the team launching the Project Time Management Certificate (PTMC) in Australasia. Our first workshop will be held in Canberra as part of the Project Governance and Controls Symposium on the 9th & 10th April:

1. Project Time Management Workshop -  9th April
  2. Free Controls Professional networking evening -  9th April (follows workshop)
  3. Project Governance and Controls Symposium -  10th April

In cooperation with the Chartered Institute of Building, Mosaic will be running a series of practical 1 Day Project Time Management Workshops that will be followed by a PTMC examination conducted by CIOB in the same city a few weeks later.

These workshops are a practical one-day scheduling and planning course that underpin studies for either the CIOB PTMC or the PMI-SP credentials.  Unlike the PMI-SP credential which requires formal training and years of experience for a candidate to be eligible for the examination, the PTMC is designed as a rigorous knowledge test that is open to anyone. Potential candidates can choose to self-study or take a course or any combination that works for them.

The PTMC is designed to provide experienced schedulers with proof they understand their discipline and offer graduates and others wishing to become a scheduler an opportunity to learn the art and skills associated with being a professional planner and scheduler – there is far more to the profession than simply using software!

More information:

1. PTM workshops & the PTMC credential (full schedule of dates): http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/Training-CIOB_PTMC.html
  2. Book into the Canberra workshop: http://wired.ivvy.com/event/GCSM13/page/display/id/18
  3. Book into the free networking evening: http://wired.ivvy.com/event/GCSM13/ (scroll down page)
  4. Join us at the Project Governance and controls Symposium: http://wired.ivvy.com/event/GCSM13/

Please distribute widely.  These three events are designed to re-frame project controls in Australia and provide an on-going forum for cross-industry, cross-association, cross-discipline discussions to advance the status and understanding of project controls in Australia. 2013 is the foundation year for what is planned to be a regular annual event.

The Symposium and networking events are underwritten by the not-for-profit PM Global Foundation and apart from physical costs, all of the income from the PTM workshop will be used to help develop this important initiative. We look forward to your support. 

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 5 days 14 hours ago. Offline

Hi Vasilios,

The PTMC certification is one step on the way towards full time management accreditation with CIOB. For the full structure see: http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/Training-CIOB-TM_Credential.html

The higher certifications will assist in achieving MCIOB but do not fulfil the full requirements.  For the current routes to membership see: http://www.ciob.org.uk/membership/routes

Vasilios Sarras

Thanks for the informative response Mike, I agree achieveing MCIOB status does seem quite a challenge. 

Vas

Mike Testro

Hi Vasilios

There does not seem to be a direct route through to MCIOB status - it seems as though they are guarding that quite closely.

On some of the more senior routes you can obtain AMCIOB (which I got by exam in 1965) by interview.

Once you have AMCIOB then there is a direct route through course work and examination to the MCIOB and thereafter FCIOB.

Even so the CIOB time control accreditation will be worth having - buy a copy of the Best Practice in Time Control of Complex Projects to see what the CIOB require in the earlier tests.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Vasilios Sarras

Hi there, 

Once you have achieved the Planning/Time Control accreditation could anyone tell me what you must then have to do to achieve MCIOB status? 

Thanks 

Vas