Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Junior Planner Breaking into M&E and P3, Needs Help

4 replies [Last post]
Chris Davies
User offline. Last seen 6 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello,
Hope you can help me. I am going to start a job as a M&E planner within building projects using Primavera. I am initialy from a steelwork-piping fabrication company therfore not sure of the building trade and the planning of M&E within it. Is there a book or other source of information which I can obtain to give me head start at my new job?
Also I am currently working through Microsoft Project and will be making the move to Primavera. I have had a foundation course in Primavera but that was a while ago. Is there a way I can get a demo disc to practice the software? Or books etc which would be useful.
Any help or information would be greatly welcomed.
Thanks,

Chris

Replies

BRAVE G
User offline. Last seen 7 years 1 week ago. Offline

Hello Chrissss...

I hope u were able to get through with help these guys gave..... I am in your shoes at the moment and will be needing alll the help on M&E Planning...... 

Chris Davies
User offline. Last seen 6 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Charlie for the excellent introduction, and Tunde for the primavera link.

Does anyone know of preferably a trusted MEP/M&E website or a book I can refer to in order to gain detailed information concerning the subject?
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Chris,

I hope what im sharing to you will be relevant to your needs.

Generally, the M & E works in Building construction previously refer to MEP.

Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing.

mechanical works involve: HVAC, Elevator (Lift in UK), Escalator

Electrical Works invovle: High Voltage, Medium Voltage and Low voltage (depends on the size of the project.

Plumbing Works involve: Water supply system, Sanitary System, Drainage System.

When you plan the activities for building construction (assumming you have completed the design and procurement phase) works, the initial activities involve Insert or rough ins. These are the activities that run parallel with the structural construction (concrte works).

You also plan the installation of hangers, raceways on a floor by floor basis. You take note of the vertical raceways, vertical pipes that runs into the chase alloted for MEP elements.

You take note also the location of mechanical and electrical rooms.

When you work out the MEP schedule always take note on the civil schedule that will give you access dates to start MEP works.

Cheers,

Charlie
Tunde Layeni
User offline. Last seen 14 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Log on to www.primavera.com/services/training.asp,Where you can view various primavera web based courses.Don,t worry if you are familiar with planning principles,you would not have much difficulty making the switch.