Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Has Anyone Had A Change of Hart About AI Take Over

10 replies [Last post]
Darrell ODea
User offline. Last seen 18 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Folks,
Not so recently I posed the question noted below.

May I quote here a German philisopher - Arthur Schopenhauer?? about The Truth.
"Firstly it is ridiculed, secondly violently opposed and finally accepted as self evident".

Firstly:- thanks to all the respondants & very thoughtfull commentary and discussion.

Secondly:- Have any of you changed your view or opinion.
All new opinions are welcome.

Tanks again....Darrell

QUESTION:-
“Computers, expert systems, knowledge based systems, or artificial intelligence, will replace our industry leaders, where policy and decision making are concerned.

How strongly do you disagree / agree with the above statement?

 Strongly Disagree
 Mildly Disagree.
 Both Agree & Disagree.
 Mildly Agree.
 Strongly Agree.
 Unsure.

Please give a reason or reasons for your answer.

Replies

Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
I will check him out, thanks. My point of view is I think everybody has a right point of view, just some are righter than others, and mine suits me as the best available to me.
Darrell ODea
Philip,
Thank you very much. Will search for these. They sound like my sort of academics. Have read a bit of Marvin Minskys work. He is affiliated with MIT, just out of interest.

Thanks again,
Darrell
Philip Jonker
Hi Darryll,

By the way the book by Richard Dawkins, is the "The Blind Watcmaker", and the one by Peter Plichta is "God’s Secret Formula" (Nothing to do with religion). The problem with Dawkins is he does not have a website, but he has some cheerleaders. The reason for this is that there is a lot of "crazies" out there that does not agree with what he writes. Peter Plichta on their other hand has pissed of quite a few Professors and academics, that he has proved wrong, and has sort of been excorsized by them. I think he holds something like 7 PHd’s interalia, Physics, Pharmacy and Law. Gives some perspective of his mind.

Hope this saves you a bit of reference work.

Regards

Philip
Darrell ODea
James,
You are right........

Regards,
Darrell
James Bridges
User offline. Last seen 13 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Darrell,

These are are all philosophical questions you pose.

The question to what extent we are in control and what decisions we really make can and have been debated at length by many philosophers.

You misunderstand my comment on ’science fiction’, as I said before it’s impossible to predict what advances will be made.

My view is anything could be proven possible through science.

Regards

James.
Darrell ODea
Philip.
Thanks for the recommended reading. Will look up.

Darrell
Philip Jonker
Hi Daryll,

On a more serious note, I just had a recall of something I read somewhere you might find interesting for your thesis. In a book by Richard Dawkins (The cheerleader for Darwinism) he discussed the possibility, of evolution, not in the organic chemistry field, but in inorganics. I seem to recall it was either Silates or Silanes (silicon chains) which had the possibility of evolving in a simular was as organic life has. Thus there could evolve super inorganic computer like beings.
Another author who is quite interesting a has patents on these silicon chains, is Dr Peter Plichta, who has written some books on the subject. He actually wrote about prime numbers, but part of the book is devoted to this subject. As a matter of interest he also has a patent on a flying saucer.

Unfortunately I do not keep records of all I read, but you will find both these guys on the internet, as they have websites.
Regards

Philip
Darrell ODea
Philip,
Really like that comparison. Perhaps AI has reached levels of intelligence we cannot comprehend and thus have rendered politics irellevant.

James,
Yes the question is difficult and very challenging, and raises all sorts of other questions.

Like:- What is control anyway?
And what are we rellay in control of?
What is an important decision? Or is it, "a decision" in itself that is of importance?

And rethorically, what decisions have you made yourself today? Or are these programmed conditions that you are responding to?

See, a lot of questions.
Would having someone or something else making decisions really be the stuff of "science fiction" or are we living with this already, and have not even noticed.

Well????????
Philip Jonker
Hi Daryll,

Strongly disagree, have explained my thoughts before, but, is still one possibility. If anybody can teach computors politics (which is probably AI as the politicians don’t seem to have any real intelligence) then maybe computors can take over the world. However, the problem is that computors aren’t stupid enough.

Regards

Philip
James Bridges
User offline. Last seen 13 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
“Computers, expert systems, knowledge based systems, or artificial intelligence, will replace our industry leaders, where policy and decision making are concerned.

This is an impossible question to answer as no one can predict the boundries technology will cross in the future. How things will continue to change, to what extent and over what time period cannot be estimated. Anything we think is impossible now may be proved achievable in the future at some point. There are many examples of this shown throughout history.

But, if computers or artificial intelligence end up making our most important decisions for us, how can we be in control? We then move into the realms of science fiction.