Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

issues with taking over an incomplete schedule

12 replies [Last post]
Danya Pearce
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All,

I am taking over a construction schedule which is incomplete (earthworks, some civils, structural and E&I has been scheduled) but certain areas need additional civil, structural and E&I and piping needs to be added overall. I still need to add in commissioning as well to the schedule.

The problem is that the work is progressing and I need to track this and add in the additional work. What is the best way to show both progress against the existing work in the schedule and at the same time add in the other work?

?????

Thanks

Danya

Replies

Danya Pearce
hey by the way i worked in sydney for 6 months and i decided to come back....so you never know huh?

thanks for the advice though. learning from others is great assuming they learn the correct leasons :-)
Brennan Westworth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
hahaha yeah.... i think we have seduced many of your planners over here in australia... i was talking to a friend of mine in the industry who was telling me of a project over in WA (western australia) where the whole project controlls department were from south africa.

the lack of good planners seems to be a common problem at the moment. I am currently working on a project where i took over a really crap schedule, if i could do it again i would re-write the schedule.
I fully understand the pressures to continue reporting on a regular basis, unfortunately i made the mistake of trying to contiinue reporting on the schedule while i developed it.

Im glad if you can learn from that :)
Danya Pearce
I will do that. I am the 5th planner assigned to this job and its halfway through construction. suppose its a good learning curve. the probelm is that in South Africa planners seem to be a scarce resource and are continually changing jobs giving us a really bad rep of doing shoddy work and not caring.

there are three schedules on this project. pretty crazy and the amount of work that generates is unfortunately my problem now.

but i have learnt not to take responsibility for others bad practices but rather find a way to correct it.

thanks for the advice!!!
Brennan Westworth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
First of all are the omissions variations or part of the original scope?

By the sound of your post they are original scope that has been missed. If the omissions are extensive i would recomend using the existing schedule for progress reporting while you work on a copy of the schedule to develop the complete project schedule. once you have this completed replace the existing schedule with the new one.

There is nothing worse than taking over shabby work.

The main problem is that as you update and issue the work in progress it soon becomes recognised as YOUR schedule.

It is better to keep clear deliniation between your schedule and the crap one you have inherited.
Danya Pearce
thanks. will try that.
Jackie Gilliland
User offline. Last seen 13 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Danya

You could possibly consider inserting high level activities and report against them while working on the detail.

Jackie
Danya Pearce
well, how do i report against areas i am still working on. wont i be getting negative progress?
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
What about it ?

Danya Pearce
Cool thanks. but what about progress reporting?
Steven Oliver
Create an activity code, with the values (Original, New) assign the "Original" value to your existing activities and "New" to new activities.

This will allow you to group/filter on your original activities.

Danya Pearce
Hi Steve,

I am using P3 on that schedule

Thanks
Steven Oliver
What software are you using ?