Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Microsoft Excel - Project C/B Analysis

5 replies [Last post]
John Nixon
User offline. Last seen 19 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Fellows,

I am looking for an Excel template that compares the value of projects. I would take a P3 or MS Project schedule, cost load, export to Excel and then run C/B analysis of the different projects.....

Does anyone know where I can go?

Thanks
John Nixon
jnixon@verline.com

Replies

Tomasz Wiatr
User offline. Last seen 2 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Dear John,

If You want to compare project with aspect of cost and benefits You must to use NPV/IRR methods (If we agree thar c/b it is only outflows/inflows of course). Simplest but labour consuming is export of selected data from MSP to Excel (it is easy in this MS Suite) and multiply values with discounting factors (you can simlpy calculate NPV in this form). But I have other, more professional concept!

You can use Pertmaster. This system is comaptible with Primavera and MS Project so You are able to read all project data in Pertmaster. This system has NPV/IRR analysis features. Other option is MC simulation so You can calculate propability of NPV/IRR levels! Tt is probabbly the best solution for You, specially that You can to model other aspects with using of hierarchical/generic resources.

Good Luck

P.S. Today Pertmaster have greater price than earlier :-( BUT You can buy only Viewer with calculation capabilities (for test) for small price. [Copyright infringement offer deleted by Moderator.} All the best for construction engineers and managers in USA :-)
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Primavera Enterprise is best one to compare the schedule , cost loading, %completion etc for multi projects.
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Primavera Enterprise is best one to compare the schedule , cost loading, %completion etc.
Sorry, I don’t know how to use P3e to compare project values (NPV, IRR, etc., taking into consideration discount rates, etc.). Maybe you can explain why you consider P3e as the best. The best if to compare with what?
I think that you can write that P3e is better than something else and describe why do you think so. But stating that P3e is the best means that you know all that is not true.
Regards,
Vladimir
Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
If you want to compare projects you better take a look at Primavera Enterprise. Than you can make your comparisons without making export files etc.