Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Leveling issues, "pinning activities in place"

No replies
Hamza BENOUFIR
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

For a while, I have been facing some issues with leveling resources on P6. I understand the principle upon which it calculates start dates, but I'm facing issues "pinning" some activities down and forcing start and finish dates.

For example I know that an activity will start on day S1 and finish on day F1, I add the necessary start on constraints to try and pin it in that place, yet it changes dates.

Same issue with in progress activities, where I know approximately when the activity will end, but the leveling sometimes prefers to finish it way later than given in the exptected to finish / remaining duration fields.

Do you know any solution, or a trick to work around this limitation?

Thanks in advance

david kelly
User is online Online
Groups: None

Hamza,

The functioality of Resource Levelling in P6 is incomplete.

However if you use 'Start on or after' and 'Finish on or before' constraints to pin activities, and when levelling you should, in levelling option, tick the option 'level resources only within total float' you might get close to the result you want