Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

General format note in P6

No replies
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
  1.  Isn't better to use “Start” and “Finish” column headings instead of “Early Start” and “Early Finish” when also using “Late Start” and “Later Finish” columns along with float.  The reason is because the Start will give you an actual right? with an A next to the date, where the "Early start" will not have an A for actual and be confusing correct.   The only point would be if you wanted to know when they were supposed to start right - which nobody really needs to know or can go look at an earlier copy.  Or am I not thinking of something?
John Reeves

Thanks, specs are never perfect.  They generally say they want early dates and early finish.  But what they really would want is the start (which includes the early dates unless actual) and the late dates.  Am I not correct?  I forget where I got the below but I do not like "the Remaining Start date" would that be the "early start date PLUS any pushing from logic or data date line?

Start = the current start date = the Remaining Start date until started then = Actual Start date.

Finish = the current finish date = Planned Finish date until started then = Remaining Finish date while in progress then = Actual Finish date when completed.

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

The "Start" and "Finish" felds in P6 are calculated based on the activity's status (Complete, in-progress etc). They are good catch-all fields to display start and finish dates. 

John Reeves

If an activity is 100%, the early start is pushed by the data date - that can only confuse people, I do not know when you would ever want that.