Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Filter for activities

No replies
Abbas Rajabpour
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask for two filters

1- For activities which have actuals greater than DD

2- For activities that have start date on DD

3- I want to see all the activities after a specific activity to the END of the project. Actually the path from that activity afterwards to the end of the project.

I tried to do it on the filter section, but I guess I am doing something wrong that it doesn't show any activities, which I know there are some there.

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 27 min ago. Offline

Hi Abbas,

The recommended best practise is the DD is always the last working hours of the cut-off date on calendar assigned on the project or if working per shift, the data date should be last reporting hours of the reporting shifts and not the start otherwise your histogram or bar will have combination of actual & forecast specially when using a multiple calendar.

For you question of maintaining the hours, all you need to do is activate the hours (Edit->User Preference->Dates then select  12 hour) before changing the data date when running the schedule.

If you are using P6 rel 21, this issue is now fixed. The hours is shown and maintain so you don't need to change on user preference.

Abbas Rajabpour

Thanks for the reply again.

Just a quick questuon, this formula you said works perfectly when we schedule the prgoramme at " 8:00" O'clock, the start time of work on everyday.

When I schedule the programme and want to choose a data date, the programme's time is always at " 00:00"
Is there a way to change it to be at " 8:00"??

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Abbas,

If you wanted to see actual date after DD the filter is:

(Any of the following)
Where Actual Start is greater than DD
Or       Actual Finish is greated than DD

Abbas Rajabpour

Thank you Rodel and David for your reply

but I think I haven't clearly asked my question

1- I want to find the activities that have the actual greater than DD to find if I have mistakenly updated some activities after my DD and go back to them. Why? Because in our office we update the programmes in the middle of the month instead of the end of the month and some parts of the work is forecasted. 

2- Again I wanted to see any activity which is started on DD to check that activity after scheduling to see if I have missed that activity to update and mistakenly has been pushed to DD by scheduling or it is on DD by some logic.

( I have set a filter for these activities. It seems when you put " start equals DD" the filterd doesn't understand and does not show any thing but instead of that I used within the range of " DD-1" and " DD+1".)

3- I don't ONLY want to see the critical path only after an activity to the end of the programme. I want to see what happens after one specific activity to the end of the project ( including critical and non critical activities).

This I couldn't figure out.

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 32 min ago. Offline

Abbas,

You will have noticed that you cannot refer to the Data Date in a filter command, BUT you can use the data date as the filter within a Global Change.

My choice is to set a Used Defined Field with Global change if:

Actual Start is > than DD

Another one where

Actual Finish is > DD

Now you can run a filter, selecting those activities that have the updated UDF created by your Global Change.

You really need the ‘View Critical Path’ feature in Version 21 to follow the path from a specific activity, Versions before this allow the scheduling options to show the paths to an Activity, but not from.

You can use ‘Trace Logic’ – but I have no idea how to imbed graphics here…

Run a filter with your Start activity, so it is the only one filtered.

Show ‘Trace Logic’ as your bottom layout. It will show the critical successor in red

Click on that successor, and it will update the Barchart.

Repeat for the next critical successor.

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Abbas,

If the schedule is progress up to DD then all activities with Actual should be started and or finished before DD therefore for your first filter "1- For activities which have actuals greater than DD" should be :" Activity Status equal In Progress" or simple tick the Default filter "In Progress"

For Second Filter "2- For activities that have start date on DD" : "Start equal DD" if you dont have any Activity Start on DD (which should be with actual or in progress) then your filter will be no activity. I assumed that you are looking for Activity after DD therefore the filter should be: "Start is greater than DD)

for Filter 3- I want to see all the activities after a specific activity to the END of the project. this should be similar to above with filter like "Start is greater than or equal to [specific date]"

For the Path - you have to run the Float path to specific end milestone or activity and filter using float path = 1.

If you are using P6 rel 21, you can use the Activity Critical Path toolbar. It will automatically filter the selected activity path using forward or backward pass. "Resource driven (level resource)", "predecessor driven (backward pass)", "successor driven (forward pass)" or both "forward and bacward". It also have an option to show sort and group.