Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Shared mode / Stand-alone P6

6 replies [Last post]
Alexandre Faulx-B...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 1 week ago. Offline

Hi Pplanners,

I am working with Primavera P6 19.12, stand-alone; some of my projects open in shared mode, and I do not understand how it can be possible.

It is not a strong issue at all, just to understand where it can come from.

Thank you for your help, all around the Globe

Alexandre

Replies

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 5 days 23 hours ago. Offline

Zoltan,

Updated my previous post to make this a bit clearer.

Regards,

Steven

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

to Steven points when ever you exit out of P6 make sure that you select file close all and then exit. Do not just use the X in the upper right to exit the program. Selecting file close all logs the user out of the project and then exiting the program closes the database properly.

Steven Auld

Alexandre,

I think that there is still an old user session stored in the database - possibly if P6 didn't close down correctly.

If you download "DB Browser for SQLite" which is a free utility from DB Browser for SQLite (sqlitebrowser.org)

Run the application then select Open Database & select the SQLite file that has the issue - Make sure you do not have this open in Primavera at the same time, as P6 does not like you making changes to the SQLite database when it is open.

Select the Browse Data tab, then from the Table Selection box select "PROJSHAR"

You should now see a list of all Projects that the database thinks are open in the application.

Go to Execute SQL & run the following SQL Query:

Delete from PROJSHAR where session_id NOT in (SELECT session_id FROM USESSION where delete_session_id is NULL)

If you go back to the PROJSHAR table (Hit the Refresh Button), you should see that these have all now been removed.

Close the database in the DB Browser application (before quitting the application) & open in P6 & see if it is still an issue.

Please note that as the SQLite is simply a file, I would make a backup copy of it before running any query against the database.

This should stop the annoying popup!

I have this function within a small Admin utility to allow me to clear locked user sessions, Clear Old Project Sessions & resetting passwords. Works for SQLite & MSSQL, but as yet untested against Oracle as I don't have an Oracle database to test against (but should work).

It's basically running the above query to clear old project sessions, but without having to download the DB Browser first.

Regards,

Steven

Steven Auld

Alexandre,

I am assuming that you are either using a MSSQL Database or Oracle, as this does not come up as an option when opening a SQLite database.

When you are opening a Project from Either a MSSQL or Oracle Database (PPM or EPPM), the application does not know that you are using it as a stand alone database, so comes up with options in the Open Project dialogue box whether you want to open as Exclusive (no one else can modify), Shared or Read Only.

A MSSQL / Oracle database would only require you to share the connection details with someone else to allow them to open the same projects.

When using an SQLite database, it is not possible to select whether it is shared or exclusive, as SQLite databases do not work as well in a multi user setting & you may see issues in the P6 application if you are running SQL Queries against the database at the same time as the application is running.

If you are just right clicking on the Project from the Projects list & selecting Open, you will not see this option - only if using the File - Open menu (Ctrl + O).

When scheduling projects in shared mode that are open by multiple users, you get a warning every time you reschedule the project to let you know other users have the same projects open.

Regards,

Steven