Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Urgent : Delay Days

4 replies [Last post]
Vrinda M
User offline. Last seen 3 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

Please explain if a project has Cost Variance of 6.93% and Baseline Duration of 486 days how can we calculate the Delay days based on Early % Variance.Can somebody explain

If Planned 16.14%

Actual    9.21%

Cost Variance - 6.93%

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

cost is not linear so you really cant use that as an example

sharief sheikh
User offline. Last seen 1 year 31 weeks ago. Offline

100% of cost = 484 days

6.93% of cost variance = 484/100*6.93 = 33 days.

The above correlation may not be correct but just for a rough idea.

Patrick Mullen
User offline. Last seen 3 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

The cost variance CAN be an indicator that your schedule is ahead/behind, but like Zoltan said, if you have major costs that will be incurred later in the project, then the cost variance won't tell you an accurate story. If the schedule is reporting delays, the cost variance can be a good tool to help validate if the project is truly behind, but you won't be able to accurately determine the amount of delays based on this unless you have something like a linear project with very predictable production/cashflows. 

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

you can't get days delayed from cost information. There is not alwasy a correlation.

for example I can be ahead on my cost becuse I billed large purchases early in the project but I have not installed anything.

why are you not looking at the total float to determine your days delyed ?