Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Same plan 2 computers different calculations - help please

4 replies [Last post]
Thomas Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Good afternoon/Morning depending where you are.

A fellow planner has come to me with an issue today, he's finding odd calculations in his plan.  I've opened the same plan (we're in the same server).

On mine the original duration is different, the remaining is different to the same activity in the same plan when opened on his machine.

We've been through the usual checks to see if his calendars are different etc but nothing seems to be different in any options so we can't understand why his appears to be working on a different calendar to mine.

Example.

Car park opens (on mine) remaining 36d opens 22-12-19

Car park opens (on his) remaining 7d opens 22-12-19

Both have 7 day working calendars with no resources set up on either.   It's the same plan opened on 2 seperate machines.

Does anyone have any other checks, or even ideas as to what is causing this?

Thanks in advance,

Thom

Replies

Sterling Gallagher
User offline. Last seen 1 year 8 weeks ago. Offline

The only other thing I would check apart from what has already been suggested is to check youre User Preference Settings. 

Could be one user has the duration format on the dates tab in Days and the other user has the durations format in weeks. 

If the data date is the same and the Opens date is the same for both users its the only thing that I can think of that would cause the duration difference.

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

Thomas, When multuple users are working in the same project, all users need to be aware of the conditions for committing data to the P6 Database and back. 

For example, I might make a change on an activity's duration, and continue making changes, but until I take an action that committs those changes to the database (such as pressing F9), anyone else opening the same project will not see the changes I've made, but rather what is still in the database. 

You can force a commit by pressin F10, after which the second user should then press F5 to refresh their screen from the database. Under such cirucmstances there may be a scenario where a change I make, is overwritten because the data is refreshed before it is committed. 

You should ask your other planner to press F10 and then on your screen you should press F5, and you should both be seeing the same values then. If not, there is some other issue which might be cause the problem.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

as Raymud suggested check what calendar is being used by the activities add they column and look at it 

it could be using a different default calendar

as look at that calendar at the bottom see if it is iinhereting holidays from another calendar 

also as Raymund mentioned look at the Admin Preferences under Time Periods, uncheck "Use Assigned calendar of work hours for each time period.

also look at the data date TIME

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Suggests to look on Admin Preferences under Time Periods, uncheck "Use Assigned calendar of work hours for each time period.

Or See number of Hours.. days.. extc

Or check what is the default calendar on both.