Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to Password Protect .XER file??

3 replies [Last post]
J B
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Firstly, yes I searched for my question/answer and found nothing useful. 

I'm working with... an "interesting" client to say the least. PDF prints of my schedule are not sufficient, and they require the .xer file that I am working with. I absolutely DO NOT want them to be able to modify any of the content without prior written consent (this has been an ongoing issue - can you tell??) 

How do I password protect an exported .xer file so that whoever opens it on their machine cannot modify it in any way? 

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

1. 1st what you are talking about is a right issue. The rights do not come with an xer file but is a function of p6. They only way to make this a read only is to give them access to your system and set ther rights as read only.

2. even if they change your information its not what you sent them. Is there something that you dont want them to see  such as costs or uints ? If so you can copy the project and strip those items easily prior to giving them the file.

3. Let them change whatever they want its stiil not YOUR schedule.

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

Ask them to buy a copy of a tool like Schedule Reader or similar. THis way they can inspect the XER file but cannot modify it.

Unfortunately, its not possible to set rights on read/write within an XER File. If a person gets an XER file, they can upload into a P6 database and do as they like with it.

One method you can defend youself. is to note the Date & Time the XER file was produced. If anyone imports the XER file into any other system, the "Last Modified Date" in their P6 will show either a) The date/time the XER was imported into their P6 databases, or b) the date/time they made changes AFTER importing.

You could argue then the modifications made AFTER your XER timestamp are no longer respresentative of the data you supplied them

Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

what will happen if the change the schedule? what is your concern if they change the schedule?

will they print it out and give you  to sign-off? 

You give the schedule to the client for what?  review/apporval, or just reporting progress?

Anyway  there is no way to protect a XER file, it is just a TAB seprated plain text file.